Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win10 firewall question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:00 PM

I got Win10 off the ground yesterday.  For some odd reason it is showing I am connected to a guest/public network.  I am hardwired into a modem, not using a wi-fi.  I thought it should show I am connected to a private network.  I have been trying to get it back to where I can use all my stuff.  Maybe I am just too tired.  The Win10 set up and updates etc... have taken me longer than any other computer before this. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

kelkay,

Here is what you need to do in Windows 10.

Settings -> Network & Internet -> Ethernet -> Click on the Network Adapter -> Toggle "Make this PC discoverable" to "On"

If you would like to see screenshots of each step please review the instructions at http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6815-network-location-set-private-public-windows-10-a.html#option1.

#3 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

I thought by not making it discoverable, it would keep others from seeing it.  If this is the same security, I may tackle this sometime in the weekend. My eyes are about blurry from constantly sitting in front of this computer.  :bubbles: Thanks for the help.  Oh, I should add I don't want this to be shared with any other device for the time being.  I don't have a smart phone.  I only have one printer, and it is hard wired too.  I thought private networks may have a little more security.  But I am not used to using Windows firewall so much. 

Edited by kelkay, 15 January 2016 - 08:20 PM.

#4 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:41 PM

You're welcome! Have a good weekend.

Also, in Windows Firewall private (in Windows 7 these were home and work) = more firewall exceptions (less secure) and public = fewer firewall exceptions (more secure).

#5 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:45 PM

OH.  So I should leave it as is then?

#6 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:58 PM

If you are connected to your home network it is generally considered to be acceptable to have discovery turned on because we assume that you know all of the computers attached to your home network. Unless you have a computer on your network that you don't trust then you can turn discovery on.

#7 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:04 PM

I only have a plug in for one computer, it is a desktop.  I have an older desktop, and I am going to load it with Linux Mint, once I know this one is good to go.  So far things look good.  But I will be asking some questions on it, as time permits.  I live by myself, and I don't have, or need wi-fi.  I don't share the network.  If I had more plug in spots by this one, I'd have a network with the older computer.  I am pushing it now just to have enough plug in spots for this one...

#8 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

As a side note, you mentioned that you are plugged into a modem and only have one port. Would you mind doing the following and posting the file?

1. In the search bar type cmd.exe
  2. Right click and select Run as Administrator
  3. Run the following command
ipconfig /all > %userprofile%\Desktop\ipconfigout.txt

Please include ipconfigout.txt.

Thanks,

packetanalyzer

#9 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:08 PM

Nothing happens.  It goes right to c windows system32

I use a wired modem, and it only has one ethernet plug in spot.  I also don't have the electric plug ins for another computer nearby.  I did have a one year old wi-fi when my kids were here.  It just turned a year old, when I got my Win8.  It would not work once I used the new computer.  So I said to heck with it, after they wouldn't help me.  I have not needed a wi-fi since I live alone now, and the kids are grown.

Edited by kelkay, 15 January 2016 - 10:11 PM.

#10 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:16 PM

So after it goes back to C:\Windows\System32 there should now be a text file on your desktop named ipconfigout.txt. Is that file on your desktop?

#11 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

I feel silly.  I had to type it in search.  I can't tell where the desktop is with Win10.  It is different than I am used to.  I found the text file.  What part are you interested in exactly?  It has some stuff on there that you wouldn't want hanging out on the web. (like my IPV6 and 4 address)

Edited by kelkay, 15 January 2016 - 10:28 PM.

#12 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:37 PM

Don't feel silly. I think it takes most people some time to get used to Windows 10. ;)

Well that is actually what I was going to ask about. I understand not wanting to post your public IP address on the web, so maybe can you tell me this.

What are the first two sets of numbers for your IPv4 address? This would be something like 192.168 or 200.100.

#13 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:03 PM

192.168  I only started up Win10 yesterday afternoon.  It took untold hours to get updates and all that.  I am now doing a backup of everything just now.  So I won't be doing any changes, or restarting till this is all done.  I've done my rescue disk, and usb emergency stuff, added my files, got most of my programs going.  I am worn out from trying to get it all done asap.

Edited by kelkay, 15 January 2016 - 11:06 PM.

#14 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:08 PM

Okay great. The reason I asked is if it was a public IP address I was going to recommend buying a router to put between your modem and your computer. Any IP address that starts with 192.168 is a private IP address.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/private-ip

#15 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:14 PM

Ah.  I wondered where you were going with that.  So should I try to change it to private, or leave as is on this firewall program?  Thank you for your help.  This is definitely a little out of my league...lol.  I think it is because I've never seen this before.  It has ALWAYS said private before.  I don't know why this Win10 is different.  Some things I like, some things I don't, on Win10 so far.  (like I need to figure out where my desktop truly is)  I am going to tweak it more later.  But for now, I'm just doing backups.  Then I am going to relax.  Switching over to a whole new way of things isn't something I enjoy.  Hopefully I will like this Win10.  I put as many privacy tweaks in there as possible, I believe. 

Edited by kelkay, 15 January 2016 - 11:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users