Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Network Listing Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LucidCow

LucidCow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:13 PM

Hello all,

I'm having a slight issue with my desktop and accessing it's files from my laptop:

From my desktop's point of view, when I open the network section in windows explorer only the other computers currently connected to my home network appear. I can access them fine and send files both ways; all happy.

From my laptop's point of view, the network section displays everything currently connected, computers, speakers, the router and even my desktop. When I attempt to access my desktop from my laptop however, I receive an error saying it cannot be accessed. Furthermore, when I try to ping my desktop's ip, the request times out. The same result also occurs when trying to access and ping from my girlfriends laptop.

So, my question is why is this happening and how is it happening? I have file and printer sharing selected, everything is within the same Workgroup and there doesn't seem to be any network adapter updates to be had on any of the computers. If someone could help me troubleshoot this I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Will

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 15 January 2016 - 06:46 PM.
Duplicate topic deleted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

Hello and Welcome

Furthermore, when I try to ping my desktop's ip, the request times out. The same result also occurs when trying to access and ping from my girlfriends laptop.

Do you mean ISP ?? I have found that this is not unusual..

Please Right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator" to give you full rights. Agree if any password is requested.

Now type ping ( Then a Space ) and type google.com ...Next hit Enter and see if you send 4 packets and receive 4 back

Not sure from your opening statement if this is what you did.

Thanks -

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#3 LucidCow

LucidCow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:51 AM

Hello and Welcome

Furthermore, when I try to ping my desktop's ip, the request times out. The same result also occurs when trying to access and ping from my girlfriends laptop.

Do you mean ISP ?? I have found that this is not unusual..

Please Right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator" to give you full rights. Agree if any password is requested.

Now type ping ( Then a Space ) and type google.com ...Next hit Enter and see if you send 4 packets and receive 4 back

Not sure from your opening statement if this is what you did.

Thanks -

Hello,

I meant my desktop's personal ip address on my home network. I can ping my laptop and my girlfriends laptop just fine from all computers yet none can ping my desktop :/

Pinging google is fine from all computers and everyone has internet access,

Will

#4 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:10 AM

What did you use as the ping number, and why did you want to ping yourself  ?

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here (only Copy / Paste the link)

Thanks -

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#5 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:20 AM

Please download MINITOOLBOX and save it to your desktop.

As per the Screen Shots shown (click to enlarge)

Once done, close all browsers that may be open. You may need to Right Click on the program icon and select Run as Administrator

Only tick the boxes to the left, nothing else.

Then click Go at the bottom.

The program will take a few minutes to gather information for the report.

This will show your operating history, without showing any personal details relating to you.

A Report will open in Notepad form, would you please copy and paste that full Report back here in your next reply..

Thank You..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users