Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice for first desktop pc

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Chris030

Chris030

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

Hello,
as the title says, I decided to build my first dekstop pc. I searched along the hardware and was overwhelmed about all the choices there are... So I hope you guys & girls, men & women, can help me.

Laptop or Desktop?
Desktop
My budget for the new computer is:
As I never build one and didn't have any contact to hardware, I don't really know what a decent desktop will cost. Maybe 1000€ ?
What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
Browsing, writing my lessons & learning, research, gaming, listening to music and watching videos
What software do you intend on using on the computer?
I think nothing special.
Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
Yes. As my laptop doesn't run everything I would want, here are the types or some games I would like to play.
Strategy, Shooter (cs:go, battlefield 4), Fifa 16, Need for Speed (the newer ones), Diablo III, Cities: Skylines and some of the new action games (I haven't looked into them because I cannot run them at the moment..)
Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
Up to 2 or 3. Music and 2 browser windows, ... Nothing too fancy.
Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
Multimedia actually takes up 75GB of storage. In addition to that, my documents and games.
The thing I know about the storage is that I would like an SSD (for the OS and most important programms) and a HDD for extra storage.
Will you be overclocking?
I don't think so. Although I haven't read in this domain yet.
Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
Vienna, Austria
How many monitors are you planning to use?
1, my desk isn't big enough for more :-P
Do you need peripherals? OS?
Monitor, keyboard and mouse.
OS would be Windows 10

Extras?
- Due to the positioning of the router and my desk, I have to surf on the internet via wireless connection...
- I'd like to have a CD/DVD drive.
- I'm seeking to get a desktop which is long lasting for working and gaming. In the games, I don't need the ultimate best quality out there. If it looks nice, beautiful, decent and smooth, I'm fine with it. I am aware that with time the games get more demanding and that sooner or later the GPU must be replaced but I don't want that to be in like 1 year for example.
- It would be nice if you would give me an explanation as to why you choose several pieces over the others.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Moved topic from Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:35 PM

I never build a pc but the HP ENVY line is pretty decent for a straight out of the store like best buy computer.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

The fact that you will have to buy an OS key is going to seriously eat into your budget. As will the monitor. What kind of peripherals are you interested in? Is a budget mouse going to cut it for you, or will you shell out 50-100 for a top of the line Logitech gaming mouse? Will a cheap keyboard cut it or do you like to spoil your fingers with mechanical keys? I personally believe in high quality peripherals for a high quality system, but OS and monitor will be at LEAST 300 of your budget. High quality peripherals could get upwards of 200, even with smart shopping. That would leave about 400 for the box itself. This is not a bad thing, but I do need to know what you want to spend where before I can start helping you.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:31 AM

The fact that you will have to buy an OS key is going to seriously eat into your budget. As will the monitor. What kind of peripherals are you interested in? Is a budget mouse going to cut it for you, or will you shell out 50-100 for a top of the line Logitech gaming mouse? Will a cheap keyboard cut it or do you like to spoil your fingers with mechanical keys? I personally believe in high quality peripherals for a high quality system, but OS and monitor will be at LEAST 300 of your budget. High quality peripherals could get upwards of 200, even with smart shopping. That would leave about 400 for the box itself. This is not a bad thing, but I do need to know what you want to spend where before I can start helping you.

Oh yes!, you're right about the monitor and OS. Don't take those in count in the budget.

As for the keyboard, I think I briefly tested one while I was in an electronic shop here and the touch was nice but it seemed pretty "loud" to me. I don't know if it was a low budget one or if they're all like that. One thing I know is I don't need the fancy coloring. One simple, nice, comfortable and high quality keyboard will do for me.

For the mouse I can invest in a good new quality mouse as I only own a small one for my laptop. I don't need too much extra buttons but a few practical ones would be nice to have.

As this is my first desktop, I want it to be high quality but it hasn't to be the extreme. And I don't want it to be water cooled, I think fans should do the trick.

If you surpass the budget by a bit, it doesn't matter, as, like I said, don't know exactly how much the system I'm loking for will cost me in total.

Edited by Chris030, 16 January 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

The "loudness" meant you probably tested a keyboard with Cherry MX Blues, which produce an audible click when triggered. Please read the information that the mechanical keyboard retailer mechanicalkeyboards.com has - they may be a retailer but the information they have about keyboards is top notch. Read up on the different types of switches and post back letting me know what you would like. In the meantime I'll get started on your build list.

#6 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:07 PM

Yes, you're right! They must have been the "clicky" ones. Thanks for suggesting that site, I learned quite a lot of new stuff.

I can't decide between a linear or a tactile switch for a bit more of audible feedback ("loudness" seems good afters watching some videos).

With the information from the site, I have these 3 types in mind: Cherry MX red switches (linear), Cherry MX brown switches (tactile) and Greetech brown switches (recommended by a friend, tactile).

Thanks!

#7 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:23 PM

Out of those two I personally recommend the browns if you are going to do *anything* typing wise. I have cherry blacks as well as another in with cherry blues, and the blacks are a nightmare to type on. While reds won't be as bad, the tactile bump in browns is helpful.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:49 PM

My suggestion:
(Feel free to flip parts around a bit if they have an equivalent that is cheaper in your area). I left some wiggle room deliberately. You could get a bigger SSD, HDD, more powerful GPU... etc. I'll leave that to you to decide.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($183.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($69.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Team DARK L3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($75.50 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $830.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-17 19:45 EST-0500

#9 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

Yeah, I think I will go for the brown one.

Thanks for that list! How "long lasting" would that system be for gaming?

I think I will take a 250GB SSD just to have a bit more to manage.

As there is still some budget left, what better GPU could I put in?

#10 Uruz 7

Uruz 7

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:05 PM

Here's the GPU hierarchy: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

The higher on that chart, the better. The better cards will tend to be "longer lasting" for you, and since they are newer, will receive driver updates & support for a longer time.

#11 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:56 PM

Keep in mind that shipping was not included in that total ( you have to set up an account for that). How long it will last depends on the monitor you choose and what graphics settings you like to play at.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

Something else to keep in mind while looking at parts is to remember you're working with €1000 (EUR) and not $ (USD or CAD).  European merchants often have higher prices and charge VAT, plus, they may not be able to use the same merchants customers in the USA have. 

That said, since the poster is in Vienna, Austria, which retailers are available to you?  PCPartPicker does have a German, Italian, Spanish, and Dutch setting, so they may be able to find retailers you can use. 

3939.png

#13 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

Here's the GPU hierarchy: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

The higher on that chart, the better. The better cards will tend to be "longer lasting" for you, and since they are newer, will receive driver updates & support for a longer time.

Thanks, this is practical!

Something else to keep in mind while looking at parts is to remember you're working with €1000 (EUR) and not $ (USD or CAD).  European merchants often have higher prices and charge VAT, plus, they may not be able to use the same merchants customers in the USA have. 

That said, since the poster is in Vienna, Austria, which retailers are available to you?  PCPartPicker does have a German, Italian, Spanish, and Dutch setting, so they may be able to find retailers you can use. 

yes, you're right... Why is that so with the price difference?

With the German setting I suppose they are available to me. I also found one good retailer in Germany (also a recommendation from a friend of mine, they also claim shipping arrives within 7 days if they have all the parts) and one in Austria. I just haven't got time yet to use the two sites to find out which one would be cheaper for me for the parts and shipping.

EDIT1: The german retailer takes no shipping if the price is above 500€ (which it obviously is) and arrives between 4-7 days after they receive the payment (which arrives 1 day after you do the transfer here). The retailer also has a lot of stuff and immediately tells you if it's compatible or not.

EDIT2: The austrian retailer is harder to use, only has limited hardware and I have to pay for shipping depending on how heavy the package is.

Keep in mind that shipping was not included in that total ( you have to set up an account for that). How long it will last depends on the monitor you choose and what graphics settings you like to play at.

I forgot that! Need to check that aswell! Graphic settings will probably be as good as possible but don't have to be ultra, high should be enough (I think).

Since you mentioned monitor, what should I pay attention to when deciding which monitor to buy?

Edited by Chris030, 19 January 2016 - 04:36 PM.

#14 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:27 PM

These are all nice features:
1440p- higher resolution means better graphics
144hz- higher refresh rates mean you see more fps
Freesync/Gsync syncs the refresh rate of your monitor with your fps in-game making games smoother.
Low latency- lower time between action and it being on the screen. Look for 10ms and lower.
IPS- higher quality panel with better colors and viewing angles.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:37 AM

yes, you're right... Why is that so with the price difference?

With the German setting I suppose they are available to me. I also found one good retailer in Germany (also a recommendation from a friend of mine, they also claim shipping arrives within 7 days if they have all the parts) and one in Austria. I just haven't got time yet to use the two sites to find out which one would be cheaper for me for the parts and shipping.

EDIT1: The german retailer takes no shipping if the price is above 500€ (which it obviously is) and arrives between 4-7 days after they receive the payment (which arrives 1 day after you do the transfer here). The retailer also has a lot of stuff and immediately tells you if it's compatible or not.

EDIT2: The austrian retailer is harder to use, only has limited hardware and I have to pay for shipping depending on how heavy the package is.

Price differences between the USA and Europe are often due to currency differences, tax, and import duties.  You can find alternate parts at retailers you can use.  For example, with GPU's, if you want a GTX 970 from EVGA purchased at NCIX-US, but NCIX-US doesn't ship to Austria, you can get a GTX 970 from a different manufacturer, such as Gigabyte, from Amazon.de.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users