Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Set Old Paint As Viewer For Images

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Hermit2A

Hermit2A

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

So I just today activated my new Win10 laptop and managed to install the old, fabulous XP MSPaint, but how do I get ALL my images to open in that, rather than in the "upgraded" (HORRRRible :angry: :exclame: :devil: :smash: ) pre-installed MSPaint?

Thanx in advance for help with this. 

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties."  (John Milton)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KristianLJ

KristianLJ

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:58 PM

You can right click on a picture and choose "open with" and then click choose another app. If you can't see the old paint in there, scroll down and click "more apps" if you still can't see then scroll down and select "look for another app on this PC" then you can locate the .exe file for the old paint. remember to click "always use this app to open ### files"

Hope this helps  :thumbup2:

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:40 PM

KristianLJ's post is what you can do to use a different program.  I'll just point out that the difference between the old and new versions is just that the menu bar has been replaced with the ribbon along the top.  MS in its great wisdom decided this was an improvement back around 2007, and has busily gone about putting it into a lot of things like Wordpad and Office.  That's for the old style (pre-Windows 8) applications.  Even more radically changed are the new "apps" like you see on the right side of the Start menu.  Nothing like change is there!  :lmao:  :nono:  :crazy:  :axe:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Hermit2A

Hermit2A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:07 PM

You can right click on a picture and choose "open with" and then click choose another app. If you can't see the old paint in there, scroll down and click "more apps" if you still can't see then scroll down and select "look for another app on this PC" then you can locate the .exe file for the old paint. remember to click "always use this app to open ### files"

Hope this helps  :thumbup2:

Many thanx for that tip, Kristian:  I was all gung ho and tried it.  Problem is, I searched my computer:  there is no "exe," only the setup icon on the desktop, and of course the actual startup icon itself.  Nothing came up as that particular "paint" when I went thru your process, nor when I searched all thru my laptop .  (I got the paint download thru MajorGeeks, and they just directly put the setup thingy on your desktop, they don't put it anywhere "deeper" into the computer belly.)

Edited by Hermit2A, 15 January 2016 - 11:12 PM.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties."  (John Milton)

#5 Hermit2A

Hermit2A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:10 PM

KristianLJ's post is what you can do to use a different program.  I'll just point out that the difference between the old and new versions is just that the menu bar has been replaced with the ribbon along the top.  MS in its great wisdom decided this was an improvement back around 2007, and has busily gone about putting it into a lot of things like Wordpad and Office.  That's for the old style (pre-Windows 8) applications.  Even more radically changed are the new "apps" like you see on the right side of the Start menu.  Nothing like change is there!  :lmao:  :nono:  :crazy:  :axe:

Actually, Niweg, the post-XP versions of Paint are not as user-friendly (take it from me, since I'm not real skilled at using complicated programs), nor does it allow you to flip an image 90 degrees, etc.  But yah, I totally agree, if it "ain't broke, don't fix it."  Still don't understand why they ever had to stop producing XP:  for me, that was THE most fantastic OS ever. 

#6 Hermit2A

Hermit2A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:41 PM

Curiouser and curiouser!  I tried opening image files by first opening up an empty MSPaint screen, then clicking the "open" command and going that route.  WELL!!!!  When I clicked on the folder that has the images in it, I was told there exists no such folder!!!  Which is balderdash, since I post haste trotted back over to the file itself, and lo and behold, the images in that folder were as intact as ever, but not openable except via the new Paint.  :ranting:

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:35 AM

I got the paint download thru MajorGeeks...

First things first.  Please post a link to the MajorGeeks page where you got this program.

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

Hermit2A, the rotate feature is there in the Windows 10 version, you just have to beat your head against the wall for a week or two to get used to the ribbon!  In my case it elicited some 4 letter words, but once I got through the learning curve, I'm OK with it.  Just don't post any of those 4 letter words here or the moderators will not be pleased!  :thumbup2:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

I think the problem here is that you have tried to install the XP version without uninstalling/moving/re-naming the native Win 10 version. I kept the 'Minesweeper' game from XP when I moved to Win 7 because I preferred the graphics and I didn't (and still don't) like the later version keeping score on me ! But 'Minesweeper' is a stand alone program - just an .EXE file.

I don't know, but I suspect, that Paint has to be installed. If you have an installation copy of it then try uninstalling the existing MSPaint (Win 10) or moving it or just re-naming the 'EXE file to 'Old' then install the XP version but it will be more than merely a matter of copying the XP Paint.exe file into the Windows folder or 'Program files', wherever it normally lives.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 Hermit2A

Hermit2A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:50 AM

First things first.  Please post a link to the MajorGeeks page where you got this program.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/paint_xp,1.html

#11 Hermit2A

Hermit2A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:52 AM

Hermit2A, the rotate feature is there in the Windows 10 version, you just have to beat your head against the wall for a week or two to get used to the ribbon!  In my case it elicited some 4 letter words, but once I got through the learning curve, I'm OK with it.  Just don't post any of those 4 letter words here or the moderators will not be pleased!  :thumbup2:

I know the rotate feature is there, but when you try to rotate something by 90 degrees, it chops it off:  even the computer nerd guy who runs the library computers couldn't figure out why it was doing that or how to circumvent it.

Edited by Hermit2A, 17 January 2016 - 02:53 AM.

#12 Hermit2A

Hermit2A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:56 AM

I think the problem here is that you have tried to install the XP version without uninstalling/moving/re-naming the native Win 10 version. I kept the 'Minesweeper' game from XP when I moved to Win 7 because I preferred the graphics and I didn't (and still don't) like the later version keeping score on me ! But 'Minesweeper' is a stand alone program - just an .EXE file.

I don't know, but I suspect, that Paint has to be installed. If you have an installation copy of it then try uninstalling the existing MSPaint (Win 10) or moving it or just re-naming the 'EXE file to 'Old' then install the XP version but it will be more than merely a matter of copying the XP Paint.exe file into the Windows folder or 'Program files', wherever it normally lives.

Chris Cosgrove

You're talking with someone who's not that savvy:  I would not DARE mess with program files myself.  That's why I come here, to pick the brains of folks who're much more knowledgeable than me! ;)  My expertise lies in fields other than computers (alas & alack)...

#13 KristianLJ

KristianLJ

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:56 AM

Did you download and install version 1.3 from the link or did you go to update to 1.4 when the setup file prompted?

#14 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

That's the problem.  If you read the description it says...

Standalone old MS Paint program that allows you to get your old XP Paint interface in Windows 7.

It is NOT compatible with Windows 10.  While there is no guarantee, you could try to run it in Compatibility mode.

Edited by Agouti, 17 January 2016 - 07:26 AM.

#15 KristianLJ

KristianLJ

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:03 AM

That's the problem.  If you read the description it says...

Standalone old MS Paint program that allows you to get your old XP Paint interface in Windows 7.

It is NOT compatible with Windows 10.  While there is no guarantee, you could try to run it in Compatibility mode.

It does work with windows 10 as I currently have it installed to assist Hermit2a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users