Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Hard drive gave a groan, I think it's infected

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wpetti

wpetti

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

Recently my system kept having trouble loading common pages, and then slowed down to a crawl.

I installed Iobit ASC Free Version and ran scans, and it definitely improved performance. I also run Norton Internet Security. I used Iobit to update all my drivers. 

but after things improved, that's when the hard drive started groaning intermittently. I ran a deep Defrag using Autologics Defrag, and Optimizer. 

The groaning has subsided for now, but I have a funny feeling something is just hiding and will return...because I am seeing some pop up spam that I suspect may have come in with the Iobit, even though I downloaded from CNET and thought it a safe source.

One scan required a reboot and that is usually serious in my experience, and rare for this computer too.

Any help greatly appreciated. Just want to trouble shoot this as a preventative before it gets worse...

Thanks!

wpetti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

I'm just curious about when you say the hard drive made a groan. Was this actually a mechanical sound you heard from the hard drive inside of the machine? That can be a sign of a bigger issue, more hardware-related.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 wpetti

wpetti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:57 PM

it was inside the machine, and I thought it was gone, but it is still doing it. It sounds like a spinning noise that is going up against resistance. It only lasts a second or less and then quits.

#4 wpetti

wpetti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

the noise only started today, a day or so after downloading that Iobit and doing the driver updates. My page loads are still better than they were before I scanned with iobit but I've had issues with Iobit in the past too, and we removed it. I may be experiencing problems related to this program as before. just seems like something is wrong in the system. The computer is not old, maybe a year at most, a Lenovo but you're right, maybe the drive is failing.

#5 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:05 PM

Before continuing with checking for infections, I would test your hard drive to be safe. No point in troubleshooting software when hardware is to blame.

Your computer may have a manufacturer hard drive test built-in. When you start the system up, there may be a key for a boot menu, which may give you options for a diagnostic.

I personally use Seagate SeaTools for diagnosing hard drives.

Let me know if you need help with running the test. The instructions on Seagate's page is pretty straight-forward.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#6 wpetti

wpetti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:09 PM

okay, makes sense. i will give it a try. Thanks!

not a techie...but not hopeless either, if you know what I mean. ha! here goes..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users