Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to initialize WD harddrive

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Enqespee

Enqespee

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

Hello, I am trying to setup a 2TB WD harddrive. Model number - WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0

Unfortunately when I try to initialize through the computer management program it give me the error "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".
I have tried swapping the sata cable and the sata port on the motherboard but that didn't work.
I read that I should try running the WD diagnostic software DLGDIAG, so I ran the tests and it passed the first two (quick test and extended test) however it failed on the "write zeros" test.

In the test results it gave me the error "20 - Delete Partitions error"

I am at a loss at what to try next
Thanks

Edited by Enqespee, 15 January 2016 - 03:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:54 PM

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.  Right-click on the drive and click Format. 

Your post has no detail of your system, especially version of Windows, so things might work a little differently depending on what you have.  If you're doing this and getting error messages, please post the exact message here. 

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Enqespee

Enqespee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:28 PM

Sorry, I am running windows 7 x64 and I have included a screenshot of my specs.

I can't actually click on the box as it is greyed out, I can click on the Disk 1 box and it gives me the option to initialize the drive but gives me an error which are in my screenshots.

The error is "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

Attached Files

Edited by Enqespee, 15 January 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:46 PM

I/O errors are usually due a bad cable or port. What happens when you create a partition and format it offline? Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso to disk and boot. This is linux based. If you cannot create and format a partition with it then I would have to assume the issue is with the drive. If it does work then it may be a driver issue.

All steps are virtual and do not complete until Apply is pressed.

#5 Enqespee

Enqespee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:17 AM

Im afraid I don't have a RW drive available to me. Is there a usb equivalent?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

Use Rufus with the downloaded iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Select Quick Format if not checked. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive first. 

#7 Enqespee

Enqespee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:41 AM

Nope, the disk didn't even appear in the list which is irritating yet appears in the Bios. I'm going to have to assume the harddrive itself is defective and send it back.

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:46 AM

"Im afraid I don't have a RW drive available to me. Is there a usb equivalent?"

Yes there is.  You can buy an enclosure to put the drive in for around $20. Here's an example from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Toolfree-External-Enclosure-Support/dp/B00GAML7OK/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452959050&sr=1-7&keywords=hard+drive+enclosure+3.5

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

If this is a UEFI motherboard make sure the SATA port you attached the hard drive to is enabled. Some motherboard's UEFI settings allow you to disable and enable the individual ports.

Edit: I am pretty sure your ASUS motherboard is UEFI.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 January 2016 - 11:02 AM.

#10 Enqespee

Enqespee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:50 PM

Yep, all my sata ports are enabled and I have tried it in sata ports I know are working with other drives and I have tried three different cables.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

Time to RMA the drive unfortunately.

#12 Enqespee

Enqespee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:52 PM

Thought as much thanks very much for your time.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

Just another thought and it probably will not help but have you tried using a different power cable to the drive?

#14 Enqespee

Enqespee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:47 AM

Tried another power cable but no luck Even reinstalled the drivers but nothing either

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users