Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Top Free Spyware Programs

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 GREEN00

GREEN00

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:30 PM

I tried doing a general search of this on bing, although I didn't come up with very good results. What do you suggest as the "Best Free Anti-Spyware Program"?

I already use AVG for Antivirus and I also have Malware-bytes, both free editions, so I don't need a big bundle package with everything in one because I already have most of what I need, as far as security goes. I mainly just need a spyware program "only".

I know years ago I used to use a program called "Spybot-Search and Destroy". But as stated that was years ago and I am sure there might be better free spyware programs out there? That's why I am here, to ask you.

:]

Thanks for any help!

-GREEN00

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:05 PM

Hi GREEN00,

Spyware is a type of malware. What exactly are you trying to do with a security tool that your anti-virus and anti-malware are not doing? If you are going to add a product to what you are already using, perhaps you would consider a program that protects against browser based exploits. One program that does this is Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. There is a free and a paid version of it too.

Edited by packetanalyzer, 15 January 2016 - 03:05 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:04 PM

I believe you mean free anti-spyware/anti-malware programs.

I generally recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as the backbone to supplementing anti-virus software. Although if you use Emsisoft, it is not necessary to use a separate antivirus solution since EAM combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus. Although if you use Emsisoft, it is not necessary to use a separate antivirus solution. See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why.

I also recommend using the following:

See the List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools which can be used to supplement your anti-virus and anti-spyware in these topics:

To protect against the increasing threat of ransomware, I recommend one or two of the following:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:37 PM

Hi GREEN00,

Spyware is a type of malware. What exactly are you trying to do with a security tool that your anti-virus and anti-malware are not doing? If you are going to add a product to what you are already using, perhaps you would consider a program that protects against browser based exploits. One program that does this is Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. There is a free and a paid version of it too.

So what do you recommend that I do, since I already have AVG as my antivirus and the free version of Malwarebytes. Since you say I don't need all of this, should I download the free version of Malwarebytes exploit and call it good?

As you can tell I am no expert, by far with spyware/adware/malware all those things.

#5 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

I believe you mean free anti-spyware/anti-malware programs.

I generally recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as the backbone to supplementing anti-virus software. Although if you use Emsisoft, it is not necessary to use a separate antivirus solution since EAM combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus. Although if you use Emsisoft, it is not necessary to use a separate antivirus solution. See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why.

I also recommend using the following:

See the List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools which can be used to supplement your anti-virus and anti-spyware in these topics:

To protect against the increasing threat of ransomware, I recommend one or two of the following:

Ill ask you the same thing I did the previous guy. What do you recommend that I add to my collection of safety tools. Keep in mind that I don't want a load of extra stuff that I "don't" need, as this computer isn't that fast, so I try to keep anything off of it that I "don't" need to keep the speed of it up a little bit.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

I already provided my recommendation. If you are insistent in staying with AVG, then add Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium or Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

#7 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

GREEN00,

quietman7 provided a very comprehensive response. Generally speaking you want something that does anti-virus, something that does anti-malware, and something that will protect you from exploit kits.

You already have anti-virus (AVG). You already have anti-malware (MBAM). You do not have protection from exploit kits. For this I like MBAE, but quietman7 provided a number of solutions for protection against ransomware (which can be delivered as an email attachment or through a browser exploit).

#8 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:38 PM

I apologize. Indeed I know he did provide a load of very good information for me. I was just confused on what I needed to add extra, looking at what I already had. I hope you understand. Nothing but positive vibes from me. Thank You all.

I added Malwarebytes Anti Exploit to my collection.

:]

#9 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:44 PM

GREEN00,

No worries, I know this can be confusing! I'm glad you found your answer. Now that you have anti-virus, anti-malware, and exploit pack protection, I would also recommend making sure you configure each to get daily (or more frequent) updates and that you do a regular backup of your files. One of the last line defences against ransomware (if Ransomeware gets passed your anti-virus, anti-malware, and exploit pack protection) is a good backup.

If you want some more recommendations on how to keep your computer secure, you should start by reading THIS.

Cheers,

packetanalyzer

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:45 PM

The free version of Malwarebytes does not provide any real-time protection for your system...it is just a stand-alone scanner which offers advanced malware detection and removal.

Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications. Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

#11 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

GREEN00,

No worries, I know this can be confusing! I'm glad you found your answer. Now that you have anti-virus, anti-malware, and exploit pack protection, I would also recommend making sure you configure each to get daily (or more frequent) updates and that you do a regular backup of your files. One of the last line defences against ransomware (if Ransomeware gets passed your anti-virus, anti-malware, and exploit pack protection) is a good backup.

If you want some more recommendations on how to keep your computer secure, you should start by reading THIS.

Cheers,

packetanalyzer

Awesome packetanalyzer, Thanks! :) Will do.

I also favorited the page you suggested that I start reading, I will read over it.

One other question I have, is about the Anti Exploit. It seems pretty simple, I only have the free version, but don't you just leave it running in the background and that's it? Is there anything I should adjust with that program?

#12 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:55 PM

The free version of Malwarebytes does not provide any real-time protection for your system...it is just a stand-alone scanner which offers advanced malware detection and removal.

Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications. Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

Are there any free real time protection Malware providers? Sorry if you have done posted that in the post above. :/ Being that I have just the standalone scanner and its not real-time, it scares me a little, but I am a safe searcher on the internet. I try to watch out for the unknowns.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:56 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) is an action level security application that runs in the background as a standard Windows Service and protects against, the malicious action of exploiting software vulnerabilities, blocks zero-day exploits that target browser and application vulnerabilities, blocks exploit kits and defends against drive-by download attacks.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit provides four layers of exploit protection to include application hardening, protection against Operating System security bypasses, memory caller protection, and application behavior protection. MBAE continuously monitors popular applications, preventing vulnerabilities in software and browsers from being exploited, blocks unknown and known exploit kits, proactively preventing the exploit from installing its payload before it can do damage. This means that it will protect against code execution that uses a certain vulnerability in an application.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit protects the following applications: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, Java, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader, Microsoft Office Word, Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office PowerPoint, Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, Winamp Player, QuickTime Player, Windows Script Host and Windows Help. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium includes additional protecton (Shields) for PDF readers, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Media players and allows the ability to easily add/manage custom shields to protect other applications as well.

#14 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:01 PM

I am a safe searcher on the internet. I try to watch out for the unknowns.

The nature of drive-by exploits is that a legitimate website can be infected and you can be infected just by going to the website. That is why quietman7 suggested real-time malware protection. The free version of MBAM does not provide real-time protection (as quietman7 also pointed out). So a good next step would include upgrading to MBAM premium. The free version of MBAE really doesn't have any settings you need to do anything with. It runs when your computer starts and protects your web browsers from drive by exploits. If you want MBAE to protect PDF Readers, Microsoft Office, LibreOffice, and OpenOffice you will need to purchase MBAE premium.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

Are there any free real time protection Malware providers? Sorry if you have done posted that in the post above. :/ Being that I have just the standalone scanner and its not real-time, it scares me a little, but I am a safe searcher on the internet. I try to watch out for the unknowns.

Spyware Terminator 2015 (Free)

The free version...strongly promotes an upgrade to the paid version

An offer of free anti-malware or security software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.

I used Spyware Terminator many years ago but found the newer version provided limited real-time protection and the nagging to upgrade was annoying so I stopped using it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users