Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot or do repair

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ~ JJ ~

~ JJ ~

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

Im currently without both my laptop's as they're both not working but this one is about my Dell

Windows vista dell inspiron 1525

Had a blue screen pop up twice once last week once last night and after last one it won't boot up, and I can't get it to do system repair I click it and it does nothing just a black screen with big arrow pointer

I can't get it to boot in safe mode either it tries and then just pops up a blue screen for a split second before going onto the black repair screen which when I press repair it tries and then just black screen

Is there anyway to get the system repair to do it or do a system restore to earlier point?

I really need to get it working as I work from home on the laptop so am stressing now

I don't have a boot up disc or anything

I've been trying to get into the recovery options screen but without going through repair your computer which it won't do I can't so can't try system restore

Thank you for any help

Edited by ~ JJ ~, 15 January 2016 - 06:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ~ JJ ~

~ JJ ~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:21 AM

I've Googled again. Going to try command prompt system restore from safe mode with command prompt

Update

Won't load, gets up to:
Loaded: \Windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys

Then the please wait on the bottom just doesn't change or anything.

Really need this laptop working. Don't know how else to get it to do system restore

Edited by ~ JJ ~, 16 January 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:26 PM

Does tapping F8 get you the Advanced Boot Options? Select Use Last Known Good Configuration. Does that work? Also you can select Repair Computer from the options and then System Restore.

In Vista you need a install disk in order to do a system restore if the computer does not boot to Windows or by tapping F8 at boot. There is a chance you can replace the registry hives in the Regback folder. This may or may not work though.

Do you have a computer that can burn a CD? If so then download the Hirens Boot disk here. Unzip the file and burn the Hirens iso file to a disk in Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk image or by using Imgburn to burn the iso image.

Boot Hirens and at the menu select miniXP. Navigate to the following folder

C:\Windows\System32\config\Regback

Is the date shown on the registry hives before or after the problem occurred? If before rename the registry hives in

C:\Windows\System32\config\

System to System.bak

Software to Software.bak

Security to Security.bak

SAM to SAM.bak

Default to Default.bak

Copy the registry hives in the Regback Folder to the config folder. Reboot the computer.

If this does not work you can use Hirens to copy any files on the computer to a USB flash drive or external drive. The USB flash or external drive needs to be attached when you first boot Hirens in order for it to be recognized in MiniXP.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 January 2016 - 12:31 PM.

#4 ~ JJ ~

~ JJ ~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

When I tap F8 yes I get into the Advanced Boot Options. Tried last known good configuration it just keeps trying to load with the bar going across and does nothing. Tried getting into safe mode with command prompt to try and do system restore from there but it won't. 

What would all that do, looks complicated. In trying to download that could I harm the laptop I'm using to post this because it's not mine to mess up. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

Downloading Hirens will not harm the computer. Do you need data off the computer?

#6 ~ JJ ~

~ JJ ~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:56 PM

I don't think so, was trying to find my puppy linux DVD that I made a while ago when it didn't work as well just to check, but I only factory restored it again last year. At this point I just want it working again so I can do work. 

I have a paragon Rescue Kit 11, would that do anything to help anything or should I bin that one. 

I will make the Hirens now. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:05 PM

if you have the Puppy linux disk then that should work for replacing the registry Hives. I believe you can also do it with the Paragon Rescue Kit. That has a file manager that can be used instead of Hirens.

So from what you posted, you have the ability to do another factory restore? That may be your best option.

#8 ~ JJ ~

~ JJ ~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:23 PM

I now have my data off the laptop that I need so can try to factory reset it or fix it but I don't know how to with puppy linux or paragon. And the warnings it gives you if you don't know what you're doing scare me from doing anything without someone that knows what they're talking about telling me 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:41 PM

If you are not comfortable copying the registry hives then you should do a factory reset. You would need to reinstall all of your software. I believe with Dell you need to do the following.

Tap F8 at boot. Select Repair Computer. Then Dell Factory Restore from the available options which should also include System Restore. 

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN117599

From your previous posts did you select Repair My Computer from the options of the Advanced Boot Menu? Edit: I gather from your first post, you cannot access this dialog window.

Learn%20how%20to%20restore%20Dell%20Vost

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 January 2016 - 08:53 PM.

#10 ~ JJ ~

~ JJ ~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:58 PM

yes that's right, I've been trying to get onto that options box for a few days now but can't because repair your computer won't do it, it just goes through the intial motions of it the microsoft corporation with the bar above then nothing but a blank black screen and then a big arrow pointer a bit later, I don't know how i can get it to factory restore without getting to that box 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:08 PM

There is a way to go about it but it requires that you have a factory.wim image and also you reformat your Windows partition. This is something that takes some experience and if you are not comfortable doing it, then I would recommend you have someone you know do it for you. 

It requires the Hirens Disk because there is a program on it that will reformat your Windows Partition but you have to have the file named factory.wim or it will not work. The factory.wim image is supposed to be located in the recovery partition. You could boot your Paragon disk and search the partition for factory.wim. If you have that then there is a good chance you can do a factory reset.

But, looking at your post saying the computer stopped at crcdisk.sys and that you previously needed to do a factory restore see if you can access the Dell Diagnostics by tapping F12 at boot and check the hard drive.

#12 ~ JJ ~

~ JJ ~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

Thank you for your reply again it's really appreciated. 

I did the F12 and the Diagnostics. It's stopped and started beeping and says the following: 

Error Code 0146.

Msg : Error Code 2000-0146

Msg : Hard Drive 1 - Self Test log contains previous error(s) 

The given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem. 

Do you want to continue testing? 

Yes No or Retry

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:19 PM

This may or may not indicate a failing drive. See the post by Dell-Kalyan S here. (sixth post) If your computer has the diagnostic partition you can run a longer test on the hard drive. If not then we can use something else from Hirens. Hopefully you downloaded it.

#14 ~ JJ ~

~ JJ ~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

Just doing the hard drive test now thank you. It's come up with this 

Error Code 0F00:0244

Msg: DISK_0 - Block 8614060: Can't read, replace disk or remove Write Protection

I will now press carry on testing. 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:27 PM

Looks like the disk is failing. We can confirm with other software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users