Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prey

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:09 PM

Howdy All,

We just got the Prey Demo out here in Oz. I don't know what to think yet..... I'm happy it supports widescreen and it seems to be a very flexible gaming environment.....

Let me know if you have it what your thoughts are...

Cheers

:thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:28 AM

It has some intereing aspects to it. For example, once you learn how to spirit walk, you can never 'die' and spirit walking in itself make for some interesting puzzles.

However, I don't think this game is that amazing, the portals, wall, and spirit walking are cool features, but thats about it. The graphics aren't bad either don't get me wrong, but still.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:16 AM

Yeah the demo (granted it was just a demo) didnt do it for me.

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:06 PM

One interesting thing though is that there is almost always action, there are some slow parts for dialog, but there really is only one big slow part (exept from the begining) and thats in areas where your trying to fly that pod around, but other than that, there is usually always something to shoot as you go which always keeps you on your toes.

#5 Conface

Conface

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:10 AM

I agree with wizdabest, it has some cool features but overall it is just satisfactory.

I haven't played that far into the game, but I found it very repetitive and got bored of it, just not my kind of game I guess.

#6 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:01 AM

i got it on my 360 when it first came out and youve pretty much summed it up its a standard game that really should have done better i think they have some great ideas like spirit walking and the grayity manipulation whcich tbh they should have done much more with its still worth playing if you have some time off work or something but id wait for the price to come down.
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#7 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:56 PM

Thanks a heap lads!
Saved me $90. What you guys said was pretty much how I felt - playable but lacking that "what a great discovery" feeling as you are going through the levels. For example, Half Life 2 really did it for me - the plot, the music and the characters.
Oh well. Guess I'll have to wait until all the new Episodes of HL2 come out... Anyone played them yet?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#8 Bloodlust

Bloodlust

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:21 PM

I'm about 95% done with the game. Just before you meet the last Boss, you have to solve this puzzle that involves ramming your space shuttle into these blue radio tower-type things. I have 4 left to ram and have been stuck for 2 weeks on how to get to them. Very frustrating...

#9 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:32 PM

Thanks a heap lads!
Saved me $90. What you guys said was pretty much how I felt - playable but lacking that "what a great discovery" feeling as you are going through the levels. For example, Half Life 2 really did it for me - the plot, the music and the characters.
Oh well. Guess I'll have to wait until all the new Episodes of HL2 come out... Anyone played them yet?

The new Half-Life episodes are short, but they're good. They're also adding new source features in every episode and I think either episode 2 or 3 (but I think) will be having dynamic shadows, at least thats what I saw on a wiki but who knows if thats valid or not but still, Dark Massiah has dynamic shadows so that'll be cool. I'm tired of seeing characters walk under a light and the character gets lit up correctly but no dynamic shadow is cast. I believe soft particals are going to be with Episode 2 as well.

Also, Portals and Team Fortress 2 are coming with Episode 2. . . . . .too. (*edit* they're all coming out for PS3 and Xbox 360 as well)

I'm about 95% done with the game. Just before you meet the last Boss, you have to solve this puzzle that involves ramming your space shuttle into these blue radio tower-type things. I have 4 left to ram and have been stuck for 2 weeks on how to get to them. Very frustrating...

I must agree, that part annoyed the crap out of me.

*edit* but I don't think its so much ramming as it is activating them by shooting them with that electricity shock thing the ship does.

Edited by Wizdabest, 13 August 2006 - 02:37 PM.

#10 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:46 PM

Also, Portals and Team Fortress 2 are coming with Episode 2. . . . . .too. (*edit* they're all coming out for PS3 and Xbox 360 as well)

I can't WAIT until i'm able to play "portal". That game looks insanely fun. Unfortunately, i'm going to have to wait until i have a Ps3, or someone i know buys the game.... There's no way i could run that on my box now (most likely).

#11 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

You know, that just made me think of something.

Do you think Valve will still keep Episode 2 priced the same as Episode 1? If they keep all the games in one package thats the same price as Episode 1 ($20) that would be crazy if it was actually priced that much for Xbox 360 and PS3 whose games cost $60+.

Also, Heretic, have you ever played Narbacular Drop, the people who made it are the ones that Valve employed and are making Portals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users