Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded to Win 10 - now doesn't recognise my USB audio device (traktor s4)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Igloo_nachos

Igloo_nachos

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:31 AM

Make: HP
Model: Pavilion dv7 notebook

O/S: Win 10

Hey guys,

So I was running Traktor Pro 2 happily while I had windows 8 installed and did the recommended upgrade to windows 10.  I then had a lot of latency issues, and did a fresh install (it was time anyway) of windows 10 on this machine...  I then downloaded, installed and activated the Traktor 2 pro software and the driver for the Kontrol S4.  The S4 hasn't moved at all since working and not working.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and software because a friend had suggested this was how he managed to resolve the same issue. 

Currently the laptop can not detect a connection to the S4, and the device only appears in the device manager as unknown.  When I tried to manually install the driver to the device it crashed my computer about 30% through and gave me the following error:

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (ks4avs.sys)

I contacted HP support and asked them to make sure all my drivers etc are updated, they spent a considerable amount of time trying to resolve the issue for me with no luck.

I have contacted NI support as well, but I know they can take a long time to respond and I am wondering if I could be doing anything else to fix this issue in the meantime.  

Appreciate your help, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:00 AM

Does your system have all other drivers, including USB 3.0 (if applicable)? Just a random thought if it's plugged in with USB 3.0, needs that driver to see anything plugged into the ports.

You definitely did the right thing in uninstall/reinstall of the driver, but there is always the chance it is not compatible with Windows 10. What is the date on the driver you are installing? I am seeing a few topics on their forums about people having good luck when Windows 10 was a Tech Preview still, they actually reported better latency.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 Igloo_nachos

Igloo_nachos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

I would have thought that any USB 3.0 drivers would come with the chipset drivers, which should be all up to date....  Do I need to install the USB 3.0 drivers separately? 

#4 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,427 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:41 AM

Typically USB 3.0 drivers are separate from chipset drivers on most motherboards. Check Device Manager to see if there is an Unknown Device though, Windows may have already grabbed the driver for you. Check under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", you may see something about USB 3.0 in there already. I'm going on the assumption your laptop even has USB 3.0, but it very well might not.

Mind posting specs of your system? A log from CPUZ or Speccy should suffice. The dv7 series has many iterations with different specs.

Edited by Demonslay335, 15 January 2016 - 10:42 AM.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#5 Igloo_nachos

Igloo_nachos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TrlZtoEvJu8QqlgPqBf0Jff

#6 Igloo_nachos

Igloo_nachos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

http://imgur.com/8MTCgFT

here's a pic of the device manager.  Nothing about USB 3.0 and you can see the Unknown Device 

p.s thanks for your quick response

Edited by Igloo_nachos, 15 January 2016 - 11:10 AM.

#7 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,427 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:12 AM

Don't think I see anything about USB 3.0 in there, so you might not have it; we'll continue troubleshooting something else then.

What's the exact model of your laptop (sorry, I kind of thought Speccy would grab that for some reason)?

I see the BIOS is from 2010; I'd recommend applying a BIOS update from HP's website page for your model. I've seen alot of device compatibility issues with Windows 10 be caused by an outdated BIOS.

Is that Unknown Device for sure the S4? If you check the Properties and goto Details, then Hardware Ids, you can post the value here. We can lookup exactly what that device is to be safe.

Example: http://screencast.com/t/XpH55w75HW7p

#8 Igloo_nachos

Igloo_nachos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

HP Pavilion dv7-4010tx Entertainment Notebook
Here is the product number: WX058PA

http://imgur.com/eoP27L3

I'll update the BIOS now

#9 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,427 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:29 AM

Ah, that is just the ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection driver. Not going to be related I'm afraid, but still good to install.

Let us know how the BIOS upgrade goes.

#10 Igloo_nachos

Igloo_nachos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:34 PM

I spoke with HP support and they tried remotely upgrading the BIOS but apparently it didn't need it.  When he tried to install it the system rejected it.

He told me my system doesn't have USB 3.0

He suggested I roll back to Windows 8 and try upgrading from there.  Honestly I'm considering it because I need to fix this very urgently....

#11 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,427 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:41 PM

Hmm, OK, definitely is possible it didn't have a BIOS update. It said 2010, so I was expecting atleast one release since then.

Is this your system?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv7-4000-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/4149935/model/4191006#Z7_3054ICK0K8UDA0AQC11TA930O2

The driver page suggests it came with Windows 7? I also see a BIOS update for F.29 dated August 2015.

#12 Igloo_nachos

Igloo_nachos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:46 PM

This is my computer, and yes it came with windows 7

I can't see the BIOS update or any driver updates.  I'm not sure why but I can't update through their website

#13 Igloo_nachos

Igloo_nachos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

I do have the HP Support Assistant on my computer which I tried to use to navigate around this issue, but it doesn't recommend me any updates either

#14 Igloo_nachos

Igloo_nachos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

Looking in there it says my BIOS version is F.08

#15 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,427 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

Odd that the HP support and assistant aren't recommending it. Maybe because you are on Windows 10, it isn't recognizing it right or something.

I selected "Windows 7" on the link I provided, and it shows a F.29 BIOS update for download. I did notice selecting Windows 10 shows almost no downloads, and instead says they are on Windows Update.

Here's the direct link to that BIOS download.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55299.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users