Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BLACK SCREEN AND WINDOWS REINSTALL

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 karlr9

karlr9

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:19 AM

Hi,

I wonder if any can help. My girlfriend has had Vista 32-bit SP2 on her HP Pavilion DV6000 for many years and a couple of weeks ago it crashed after an AVG Update or HP Sound Driver Update. From then on a black screen with cursor would come up after the Windows Logo Flash.

Over the course of the last weeks I have tried many solutions and done lots of research with nothing solving the problem. I have tried memory scans, chkdsk, automatic repair, trying to find a system restore point and reconfiguring the bootloader to name just a few.

In the end I have obtained a Vista CD and resorted to an installing a fresh version on the hardrive which has retained the Windows.old folder with all the files within it. This version now works and I using the laptop to type this.

My question is whether it is possible to copy the files from the windows.old folder to the new installation of windows so as to maintain the old structure i.e. desktop icons, browsers with bookmarks etc? Also, is it possible to reverse the installation process so as to maybe fix the initial problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karlr9

karlr9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

Anyone?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:29 PM

You can't reverse the process but you can copy files from Windows.old, just not the programs that were installed. Those will need to be reinstalled. If by desktop icons you are referring to files downloaded then those can be copied from Windows.old. Bookmarks are located in different locations depending on the browser used. The bookmarks file can be copied from Windows old to the correct location. Her files would be the the Users subfolder. 

#4 karlr9

karlr9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:33 PM

Thanks John. I was just wondering if there was a quick way of resolving the previous windows setup but you have confirmed what I thought.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

I would not chance trying to take it back with the problem you had. 

I would recommend that, once you have everything up and running to your satisfaction, is create a disk image with software such as Macrium Reflect Free or Aoemi Backupper Standard Free. Using the bootable media the program allows you to create the disk image can be restored if the computer refused to boot because of a problem or the hard drive fails. Simply boot the recovery media with a external drive attached and restore the disk image back to the original or new drive. Then you would be back up in minutes vs hours.

If you do not have an external USB drive to create images the next best solution is to use Aoemi's One Key if you no longer have the factory restore partition. This would allow you to tap a key at boot and recover the disk image. It's like a factory reset but you can update the disk image unlike an OEM's factory reset partition. It will automatically create a recovery partition and edit the boot loader to allow a key press at boot to access the recovery. But, this of course will not work if the hard drive fails vs a disk image on an external drive. I have used One Key with success. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 January 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#6 karlr9

karlr9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

Cheers John. That is great advice!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members