Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitors won't wake up after PC goes to sleep

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mwildermuth

mwildermuth

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:35 AM

When I try to wake up my PC from a sleep state, the PC wakes up but the monitors don't.  The monitors just stay black or say "Check SIgnal Cable".  Everything use to work perfectly, up until about 3 or 4 months ago.

Things I have tried:

-Replaced RAM

-Replaced Video Card

-Updated Windows 7 to Windows 10

-Swapped HDMI cable

-Tested each one of my two monitors individually by themselves

-Updated display drivers

-Tried turning off "Link State Power Management"

-Ran windows memory diagnostics test

-Rand Malwarebytes anti-malware and Windows Defender

-Made sure keyboard and mouse are allowed to wake the PC

My Machine:

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (Same problem in Windows 7)

Motherboard: Pegatron Corporation | Benicia

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700

NVIDIA GeForce GT 730

Monitor:  HP w2408 Wide LCD Monitor (using HDMI cable)

Monitor:  Old LG flat panel monitor

8GB RAM

Thanks for any advice or help that can be provided

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JosephPorter

JosephPorter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

Same as mine when it sleeps it never wake up. So i turn it off and turn on so it will wake up. 

#3 tomcat9

tomcat9

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:39 AM

Changing the power management setting on the BIOS to S1 (POS) from S3 (STR) eliminated the above problem for me.

Later, from rummaging through and using the information I gleaned from the following web pages, I confirmed that the newly installed GeForce GT 730 video card on my XP computer was the culprit. The GeForce GT 730 does not support the S3 power management setting. The web pages, chronologically, are:

1. http://gsmblog.com/post/Difference-between-S1-%28POS%29-and-S3-%28STR%29-standby-mode-in-BIOS.aspx
  2. https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19288
  3. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/1d478f44-2a24-4cca-9cff-40d639b7a8f1/windows-7-wont-wake-up-after-sleep?forum=w7itproperf

Via the command window (cmd) and typing after c:\ the following command "powercfg /devicequery s3_supported" (without quotation marks), then "powercfg /devicequery s1_supported" (without quotation marks), and comparing the resulting lists, NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 was listed under s1_supported but was not under s3_supported.

Edited by tomcat9, 23 January 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#4 mwildermuth

mwildermuth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

Hi,

I figured it out.  I needed a new power supply.  A PSU calculator recommend I get one with more watts, so that is what I did, and now the issue has gone away.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#5 JosephPorter

JosephPorter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:37 AM

Hi,

I figured it out.  I needed a new power supply.  A PSU calculator recommend I get one with more watts, so that is what I did, and now the issue has gone away.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm happy that you solve your problem with PSU calculator.  Maybe ill use that too. Where can i buy that thing by the way?

#6 mwildermuth

mwildermuth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

Hi JosephPorter,

Newegg.com has a web PSU calculator here:

http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator

Its free you just fill out the form with your hardware specs and it will make a recommendation on how many watts your PSU should be.

#7 JosephPorter

JosephPorter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

Thanks mwidermuth for the information. 

#8 NTUK

NTUK

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:27 AM

Had the same problem and solved it with the following work-around.

1.  Type "sleep" in the START window and in the menu that pops up set your computer to never sleep when on mains power

2.  Type "screen saver" in the START window and in the menu that pops up select a screen saver that blanks your screen (I use "Mystify")

Your machine will now not go to sleep but both monitors will blank after your selected time.  When you move the mouse both screen come back.

This is a really low tech work-around but it did the job for me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users