Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition input desired, please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dvlpr

dvlpr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:07 AM

1 TB HDD

This is what the partitions looked like from the OEM with 8.1 installed:

System

2.27 GB NTFS

Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

Windows (C:)

914.59 GB NTFS

Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

notnamed

14.65 GB

Healthy (Recovery Partition)

System = .25 GB in use - 2.02 GB / 89% Free

Windows (C:) = 34.74 GB in use - 879.85 GB / 96% Free

notnamed = 0 GB in use / 100% Free

After Custom upgrading/installing to 10, the partitions remained exactly the same. Info says they're MBR partitions.

I intend to dual-boot with LM17.3C64-bit, but before I install it, I'd really like to understand these present partitions first so I can resize (C:) and fully understand what the other two do, and if they're truly needed. Worst case scenario ( I think) is that I leave all 3 in place and just shrink (C:). However, does that only leave me with an Extended partition to install LM to, since I understand MBR only allows 4 primary partitions total? The MB has the option to use UEFI, and I believe I have read somewhere that if that's the case, MBR automatically goes to GPT if more than 4 primarys are created.

Ideally, I'd like to have only 1 (or 2) Windows partitions, and 1 or 2 LM partitions, or whatever the most sensible/efficient setup is. Total HDD is not an issue since I doubt I'll ever, ever use 150-200 GB for anything but OS-needed stuff. I also intend for LM to be used primarily.

Any/all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:13 AM

Shrink the C drive.

As for Linux its possible to have it use logical partitions, you may not need it as really even with MBR its possible to have more than 4 partitions.

Or just reinstall windows 10 and have it set to GPT, it will solve the partition limit.

Its your call but again its a good thing linux can install in a logical/ extended partition

Edited by MadmanRB, 15 January 2016 - 01:14 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 dvlpr

dvlpr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:56 PM

I appreciate that very much, MadmanRB - thanks.

#4 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:36 PM

Like MadmanRB said, just shrink your C and leave the space unallocated. Do this from within your W10.
LM will detect the unallocated space and will offer to install alongside your existing W10. Choose that option and let LM set the GRUB (boot loader) where it suggests.

My own situation: Dual boot with W7 on MBR, 5 partitions and Linux booting from an Extended (Logical) Partition. 
Remark: I don't have the "System Reserved" partition that Windows normally has...  :devil:

3uMd0l9.png

Please backup important files before you begin... 
Any problems, post back in the Linux & Unix section. Good luck!  :wink:

Greets!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users