Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel's Core 2 Duo Going To Beat On Amd?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:45 PM

You all think AMD is getting beat by the Core 2 duo in the chip wars?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:07 AM

Black and blue. Considering AMD's next architecture, K8L, is coming out 2008 it is going to be a long and painful beating.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:48 AM

IS the core duo faster than AMD's chips?

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:21 AM

Take a look at this article.

Intel's New Core 2 Duo Processors Run Blazingly Fast in PC World Tests PCs with new 'Conroe' chips decisively outscore AMD-based rivals in our tests.
JC

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

Eh. I'm more of a fan for Intel, but who knows maybe AMD will get into the dual core business here shortly. It seems to be the future of computers.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

The gist I get from some of my analyst friends is Intel chips are now in the 65ns range,a whole process generation ahead of AMD. Until Amd puts them on the market in a year or so. The Core is 40% faster and watt-efficient (heat reduction). Intel having the advantage in performance-per-watt and applications where memory bandwidth is important. IT's a huge benny for gamers. AMD tho still holds the advantage in (Hyper Transport) 2 & 4 way servers and also applications. So chip wise yes,Intel is getiing a big jump but business wise they'll still be very close.
The real bonus right now in the 60% reduction in the price of P4 chips to clear inventory... A $550 P4 chip can now be had for$ 220 :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:28 AM

So its more of what you will be using the pc for as usual that will tell what chip you want.

I thought amd had a dual core chip out?

I still have a AMD 64 3200 and I like it. Never tried a dual core and do not think I would need one at the time.

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:56 AM

AMD does have the FX models out that ARE dual-core....

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:26 PM

Both AMD's FX and X2 line are dual-core. AMD has been the undisputed champion of dual-cores for the last two years. The X2/FX are technically superior to the unimpressive Pentium D.

As a rough comparison:
The Core 2 Duo E6300 is as fast as the Athlon X2 4200+, and $20 more expensive.
The Core 2 Duo E6400 is as fast as the Athlon X2 5000+, and $90 cheaper.
The Core 2 Duo E6600 is generally faster than AMD's fastest processor, Athlon FX-62, and it is $480 cheaper.

The real bonus right now in the 60% reduction in the price of P4 chips to clear inventory... A $550 P4 chip can now be had for$ 220 :thumbsup:

What would you what those old, obsolete things for, some fancy bling for the christmas tree? :flowers:

Edited by Mr Alpha, 28 July 2006 - 02:30 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users