Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Certificate Errors

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adamdkennedy

adamdkennedy

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:58 PM

Hi,

I am hoping you  can help me.  Every net-connecting program I run (IE, Opera, Firefox, iTunes, etc) provides a certificate error message. 

I don't recall making any system changes or updates, so this seems to have come out of no where.

I am running Windows XP.

Is there anything I can run / do to fix the problem?

Thanks.

Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,561 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:06 PM

Can you post an example with screenshot of the details? Make sure your time is correct on the computer, just a quick thing to check.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:15 AM

There are various errors and reasons for receiving them. What specific error you are getting?

Certificate errors typically occur when there is a problem with a certificate or the server's use of the certificate. There are various types and causes of certificate security alerts, warnings and error messages and they can vary depending on what browser you are using. Common causes can be as simple as the system time (clock date/time) not being correctly set as noted by Demonslay335 or failing to update root certificates.

Why do certificate errors occur?
How do I know there is a certificate error?
Can I go to a website that has a certificate warning?
Can I turn off certificate checking?
I'm getting errors on websites I always visit. What should I do?
Is it ever safe to ignore a certificate warning and continue to a website?
What about expired certificates? Is it okay to go to a website with an expired certificate?

What do the different certificate errors mean?

The following table contains a list of common certificate errors and information about what they mean.
Error Message:
This websites security certificate has been revoked.
This websites address does not match the address in the security certificate.
This websites security certificate is out of date.
This websites security certificate is not from a trusted source.
Internet Explorer has found a problem with this websites security certificate.

This message is telling you that there may be both secure and non-secure content on the page. Secure and non-secure content, or mixed content, means that a webpage is trying to display elements using both secure (HTTPS/SSL) and non-secure (HTTP) web server connections...Internet Explorer blocks non-secure content by default and is set to prompt you when this is happening.

Only secure content is displayed notification in Internet Explorer 9 or later

There is a problem with this website's security certificate. The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority...This problem can occur if the client computer's clock is set so that the date/time is later than the expiry date of the web server's SSL certificate.

Internet Explorer: There is a problem with this website's security certificate

The certificate error is generated when the Microsoft Outlook settings Signature has an image that was loaded using the Upload Image option in the Insert Image dialogue box.

Error: The identity of this web site or the integrity of this connection cannot be verified

Information you exchange...there is a problem with the site's security certificate.
The security certificate was issued by a company you have not chosen to trust.
The name of the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site.
The security certifcate has expired or is not yet valid.
This page contains both secure and nonsecure items.

Common HTTPS Secure Server (SSL) Certificate Errors
There is a problem with the site's security certificate warning
Secure and NonSecure Items Warning Message

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 adamdkennedy

adamdkennedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

Hi Guys,

The date problem was exactly it.  I will blame my kids :)

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Adam

#5 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,561 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:15 PM

Ha-ha, glad it was simple. Gets even the best of us sometimes. :P

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users