Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:41 PM

Hey all.
I recently purchased the Acer E650, with Media Centre Edition installed. It came with this utility called eRecovery which sits in a hidden partition on the drive, and creates backup points for restoring your system. I don't like it as it uses up system resources and causes startup to be a little slower, and I want to reformat the drive. I currently have a 250gb sata drive with two partitions, plus another hidden partition which the recovery data resides on. I insert the XP home CD and reboot, load the partitions screen but none show up. Then whenever I choose any options (rename, delete, repair or whatever) A blue screen comes up with lots of white writing on it, telling me the system has stopped to prevent any damage done to my system.
Please help! I don't want the Acer-installed software on my computer, I want a fresh install of everything!
What can I do?

sys specs:

pentium D 2.8ghz
2gb DDR2
250gb drive
Radeon X1600 w/ 256mb ddr2
one optical drive (dvd)
plus onboard sound and lan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xtatik222k

xtatik222k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:20 AM

By the way, do people here think this problem would still be apparent if I had a new hdd?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:11 AM

First, everything that I've heard about Acer says that they have a quality product.

Next, the separate partition won't affect the working of your system. There may be startup programs that access this partition (to provide you with the ability to access this) - but there are ways to stop that from starting, but still being able to access it.

Finally, this system recovery partition is for your use in case the operating system stops working - do you really want to get rid of it and leave yourself with nothing to recover from?

In order to do it, you'll need to have a set of recovery CD's that don't rely on the recovery partition - and if they didn't come with the computer then most likely you'll have to buy them.

You can disable the backup points by ending the process that does this (but it'll either take someone who knows Acer's, or some research to figure out what this is. FWIW - this won't affect your hard drive, and the restore point creation shouldn't take up that much of your system resources that this becomes an issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, onto the Blue Screen. This is commonly called the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) and it contains information on why your system crashed. Here's a link to an article on how to get the information for us to analyze: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Let us know the error code and any files that may be involved and we can get started on fixing this error for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, a new hard drive will eliminate this problem - BUT NOT BECAUSE YOU NEED A NEW ONE! Rather it's because you'll have to reinstall everything all over again - and that will give you a fresh install of Windows that presumably won't have this error.

These errors are usually hardware errors - and most commonly are caused by corruption of the different hardware drivers on your system. Hardware drivers are the software that tells your hardware how to communicate with other parts of the system.

Most times the solution is merely removing the driver and installing the most current version of the driver - the hard part is in figuring out which driver it is!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users