Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DELL Dimension B110....beep codes, wont start up...Hmmmm

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

Dell dimension B110, Windows XP.....trusty DELL,never had a problem. Started machine and no signal to monitor. I get the following beep sequence

4 long beeps followed by 2 shorter beeps. Sometimes it appears to be just 4 long beeps repeated,etc. Looking for a suggestion on where to start, what to look for. I have changed nothing, no new software installs,etc.

IDEAS??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:15 PM

4 beeps on a Dell is almost always an issue relating to RAM. The fact there is no video output solidifies this.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN293445/en

I would try re-seating the RAM modules (recommended to unplug the system completely from power first). You may be lucky with what is called "chip creep" (not sure if that is the real term, we call it that in our shops). Otherwise, you could have a bad stick(s) of RAM.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:47 PM

In addition to what Demonslay335 posted, your computer should have 4 diagnostic lights on the back. See page 35 of the manual here.

#4 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

Thanks to all....will test this out today.....much appreciated. I did power up and noted that I had all four lights on the back lit up....I am color blind so hard to tell if they are green or yellow. I'll report back in a few.

Edited by jake21, 15 January 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#5 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

Let the white doves loose, and drop the confetti....pulled memory mods, one at a time, and re-inserted one at a time...found one that was not good and made the system "hang". Replaced, and back on the road again!! Thanks to all...it's great day!!

#6 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:24 PM

Glad to hear you got things working. :)

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users