Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Locking Up (Diagnostic Advice)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KombattWombatt

KombattWombatt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:59 PM

Hey all,

So, recently, my PC has begun freezing about once a day. It happens during gaming. It becomes entirely unresponsive and the sound gets stuck making an annoying noise. I'm looking for advice on how to diagnose this problem. I've tried using the windows reliability feature but I can't see any useful information there. This may be related to switching to a three monitor setup, as the timing is at least correlated.

I am running Windows 10 64 bit

AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core 4.00 GHz

16 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 970 running NVidia surround with the latest drivers.

Any advice on how to fix the problem or how to better determine what the problem is exactly would be lovely.

Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,861 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

G'day KombattWombatt, and Welcome to BC.

Click on search...type in power and sleep settings....click on additional power settings......you should now have a screen with a chooice between Balanced...and My Custom Plan.....

Choose Balanced....click on 'change plan settings'....and choose "never" for turn off the display.....and "never" for put the computer to sleep.....

Let me know if this helps.

I have had a similar problem where the pc just "sticks"...."freezes"......at random times....I can be using or not using it....and it just happens.

I used the settings described above yesterday and so far all is good

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 KombattWombatt

KombattWombatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:15 PM

Mine only occurs when I'm using it and demanding a decent amount out of it (ie. never happens streaming or just surfing the internet, only when I'm running a graphics intense program and in full screen mode.)

But, thanks for the suggestion and I'll give it a try, see if that helps.

Cheers.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,861 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

Graphics intensive......do you have the latest driver for your graphics card...??.....you can also try allowing windows to supply the updates for the card

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users