Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard not working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 avtrisal

avtrisal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

I have an HP Envy x360 laptop, bought in mid 2014. This morning, I cleaned the keyboard with a Clorox wipe (now apparent to me that this was maybe not the best idea) and the keyboard is now not working. Keys are usually not mapped to their regular inputs: for example, pressing "a" on the keyboard results in what you would get from "j" + "Enter", the keyboard appears to be creating new lines randomly, "u" is "l", and caps lock randomly goes on and off. 

Does anyone know how to fix this? Failing that, does anyone know how to turn off the default keyboard? I am typing with a USB keyboard now, and I've tried uninstalling the default keyboard from the device manager, but it didn't work at all. 

Thanks for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mac29

Mac29

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

I'll take a stab avtrisal, even though it's been hours since the 'wipe' I'd research the steps to take out the keyboard and inspect. I would think any liquid has evaporated from the key posts underneath but it's possible some is still left somewhere. Like near a connector. I'd try drying out, maybe leave the exposed body (not the screen) in sunlight and later re-insert the keyboard if you're sure everything looks dry. Hopefully no residue messed up anything electrical but that may be the cause. I've seen worse get solved by doing the above but ymmv or course.

Hope that helps,

Mac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users