Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Install Fails and Fails, Netbook Was Running XP SP3 With No Issues

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

Asus Eee PC Netbook 1000HAB, ARM n270 CPU, 1gb RAM, 160gb HDD

Machine was running XP SP3 with no issues. 

I wanted to try out Linux, and began with Linux Mint 17.3,  would fail at the 75% install mark..

Then I tried the Mint xfrce 17.3 and it failed at the 90% install

I then tried Kali.. several times, like 5 times and would fail at the 90% install mark..

Then I tried Ubuntu 14.03 and same as above

Today I tried EasyPeasy and it failed the 1st time..

I then used Gparter and scrapped everything..  

I then tried EasyPeasy again and this time it completed the installition(FINALLY) and told me to reboot to boot up into my new EasyPeasy OS

However it would NOT book up says it was missing something or other.. 

What is going on here? 

Machine was running fine on XP SP3  but is it possible somehow my HDD is bad or failing? 

HOw can I tell? 

I have been messsing with this all week and I've probably deleted partitions and created new ones, dozens and dozens of times now...

WHAT am I missing?

oNe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

The ARM supported version probably

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:28 PM

Hey Phabeon, welcome to the Dark Side!  I might not be able to help - but won't hurt to get some specs and partition info on that pc for someone who can.  Can you boot up Mint Xfce and run these commands in the terminal, Copy them from here so you don't get them wrong.  Run one Command then post here, then run the next and do the same.  Highlight text in Terminal then Right Click "Copy" then "Paste" it in your next Post.

inxi -Fxz
sudo parted -l

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

One thing that you need to make sure of, is that you are tyring to install a Linux that supports ARM architecture (since you have a laptop that runs an ARM processor instead of a regular AMD/Intel one). Typically you have to go to a "other downloads" type section of which ever distro you are trying to install and download the one that says is for the ARM architecture. Not all support ARM. I currently don't have the time to tell you where to download an ARM distro... someone might, or I'll try and post back later.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:37 PM

I'm running short on time also, but here is something to get you started.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:48 PM

but won't hurt to get some specs

PC specs are in the first line of the first post

Asus Eee PC Netbook 1000HAB, ARM n270 CPU, 1gb RAM, 160gb HDD

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:04 PM

I got carried away with your issue and it was looking pretty bleak but I think this will help.  I don't know anything about this type of install so look at the "installation guide" before you move forward.  Also make sure you select the right download, unfortunately I don't know which one it is.  I would guess it's this one but don't know: 

Here is some good reading also that might help you out.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/EeePC

Sorry but I could not find anything else supporting the install to your pc that was current, other than a youtube vid for the distro you already tried.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiLyt7Ot6rKAhVL2B4KHSY7CSIQtwIITTAG&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0i5ziZUNvHo&usg=AFQjCNGWQEHk5BrbaxUoRhIJwJ2oeDuiUA&sig2=TaxVQdwM11zG5OXiDQzXlg

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

Gentlemen, 

all the input and info is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

However I think the issue is that my HDD is TOAST...    This morning I tried again with a Puppy distro for ARM processors, same issue, fails at the install..

I went back to EasyPeasy, same thing, errors out

I used Gparted to completely DELETE my partitions, leaving it at 160gb's untouched, then I formatted again using ext2, tried the install, and it failed again. 

I tried to format to fat32, install and it failed again. 

Just now,  POST displays SMART errors, i.e.:

Master HARD Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace

Press F1 to RESUME

When I boot into LIVE EasyPeasy it says:

WARNING: A hard disk may be failing. One or more hard disks report health problems. 

I don't understand, I've never ever had a HDD fail on me..   Is it because I kept f@ckKkin with it all?  Aka I must have deleted partions and reformatted partitions like 50 times this week.. 

Could that have DESTROYED my HDD? 

It was running Windows XP SP3 with no issues prior..   

I thought I was clever and tried to partition it in half, aka created a 2nd partition of only 75gbs(hdd 120gb) and install EeasyPeasy on that..   same error will not install.

IS THERE A WAY TO CONFIRM MY HDD IS TOAST?  Or is all the above all the confirmation I need..  :rip:

oNe

p.s. EasyPeasy LIVE has a check disk utility that comes back with no issues.   but I wonder is it checking the hard drive or the usb flash drive? 

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

Its possible that the HDD died, it can happen over long periods of time.

Linux would not be to blame for this all though, if the hard disk was failing, it was failing.

Just dont let you discourage trying linux on another machine though, any OS would have issues with broken hardware

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:50 PM

Opps, failed to post this link for the download and was thinking below it is what you needed: 

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/netboot/14.04/

Post this output so we can take a look at what you have done with the drive partitions.

sudo parted -l

And if you don't mind take a Screenshot with gparted to post in your next thread.

Edited by pcpunk, 15 January 2016 - 04:08 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

unfortunately I have the laptop packed up for the trip home.. maybe on Monday? 

ALSO...the homeboy hooked it up with these just now. 

Are these the fabled INTERNAL NETBOOK DRIVES? 

If so then I might just swap it out this weekend...    

LET ME KNOW!!

oNe

p.s. how does one attach files from local drive here? 

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

IS THERE A WAY TO CONFIRM MY HDD IS TOAST?

You could try installing to USB. If that works, it would indicate that the problem is the HDD. If it won't install to USB either, there must be something other than the HDD preventing successful installation.

Does this computer have at least one USB 2.0 port?

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

p.s. how does one attach files from local drive here?

I don't think there is any way to do so. What files are you wanting to attach?

#14 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:32 PM

All of those run from USB, correctly?

I've not seen that many fails that wasn't hardware related.

Especially if the live medium works fine.

According to specs that thing has a Seagate HDD. Here's link to the diagnostic tool

SeaTools Legacy Tools

If the HDD checks out good...

DebianEeePc Project

<rant>

I have no love for Seagate drives (lmgtfy)

</rant>

Edited by raw, 15 January 2016 - 05:48 PM.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:06 AM

I have no love for Seagate drives

raw, I also had (still use as a paperweight) one of those dreaded 500GiB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives, the thing was, it had less than 30 days of usage over a 5 year span. It was prepackaged backup drive & since the specs were faster than any HDD I had (a 32MB cache was a big deal at the time) & there were other backup drives on hand. After moving my backup images to other drives, carefully cracked it open, and installed in what at the time was my main PC. Ran like a champ for 4-5 weeks & then out of nowhere & with no warning whatsoever, my wife booted the PC & there was a 'no disk' error. Tried unplug/replug to no avail, and it wouldn't show connected in my docking station either, though the HDD would be spinning normally w/out any strange noises or clicks. 

In fact, had just ran benchmarks on it just a couple of days before this happened, and fortunately, created a drive image with what at the time was using, Acronis True Image 2010 (full version). While that did save much of what was on the drive, for a spell, had to go back to the other, until I could get a 1TiB Caviar Black (SATA-2, 32MB cache). I wasn't about to spend more cash on all of the needed components to homebrew recover the drive than I paid for it new on eBay & pray that it worked. 

Seagate produced millions of these drives, knew that some were defective, and didn't warn users to update firmware in advance to head off the troubles. I had registered the drive on their site & can say with 100% certainty that I never received a notice to do so, even when it was a backup drive. Just last year, purchased a 1TiB model of the same that shipped with my XPS 8700, yet it was bundled with a 120GiB Samsung 850 EVO for $99 shipped, it's ran good, half of the drive space is my Linux Mint /home partition & as for the 850 EVO, it's staring me in the face looking for another home after removing a couple of smaller SSD's in the main PC & going with two larger models. 

I guess because I had imaged just before the Barracuda 7200.11 died, wasn't out of as much as many others were (one's data is worth more than the drive & OS combined), there were many who lost everything. Yet I have to place at least half of the blame there where it's rightful, the owners of the drives. Though this one had a much higher failure rate than other at the time, it was their failure to image the drives that led to loss of data, and that can happen to anyone of us as soon as 5 seconds from now. Hardware fails & we must be prepared for these events. Today is different from then, backup drives are at all time lows in pricing (seen a 1TiB model on Newegg today for $45 on promo), and quality backup software costs nothing, Macrium Reflect is what I use, except for one computer that doesn't run a SSD & that's the ATI 2010 version mentioned above. 

Hopefully all the OP has is a HDD failure, these are at low cost on the Newegg site, around $35 for a 500GiB model. It makes little sense to pay just $5 less for the 250-320GiB versions, and in many instances, will pay more. Best to purchase on promo, or go with a $59-69 120GiB SSD. More bang for the buck! :thumbup2:

Especially on a netbook that likely holds 2GB RAM at the most, an SSD will likely be the best upgrade that can be performed. Crucial has some decent 128GiB models in that price range. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users