Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't start, recovery disk won't work either

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lala87

lala87

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

Hello! All of a sudden my pc wouldn't get past the Starting windows screen, I rebooted and got an error screen telling me a recent software or hardware change might have caused the failure (I haven't changed a thing as of recently). That screen gave me the option to start in safe mode (didn't work, it would load a number of drivers and then just sit there indefinitely trying to load the next driver, but not being able to do so) Rebooted, tried the other option the screen gave me, which was using the last known valid configuration, but it wouldn't work either, again it would not get past the Starting windows screen.

So I booted from a recovery cd, it shows "Loading files" and then just sits there with the green loading bar running forever. I tried this with two different disks, and let them load for hours, it would never get past that screen.

I then tried booting from a USB, this time not just the recovery options but with a full windows installation iso on it. Same result, won't get past the green loading bar despite letting it load for hours.

I have saved my files to an external drive, by using Ubuntu live. But I have no idea how to proceed to repair windows, I have used my recovery disks successfully in the past, but now nothing works.

I have also run a full scan with Kaspersky rescue disk 10,it found nothing, zero threats.

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

Edited by lala87, 14 January 2016 - 01:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

Well...you are assuming that Windows is the problem...and that it can be repaired.  Since you cannot even get into Windows, I would not assume that it's the problem.

I'd take a look at the hard drive functionality by using a hard drive diagnostic.

Louis

#3 lala87

lala87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

Well...you are assuming that Windows is the problem...and that it can be repaired.  Since you cannot even get into Windows, I would not assume that it's the problem.

I'd take a look at the hard drive functionality by using a hard drive diagnostic.

Louis

Hi Louis! Thank you for your time. I do not know how to perform a hard drive diagnostic given the current state of the pc? Is there any software I can use that will run, like the Kaspersky rescue disk, independently of windows?

Edited by lala87, 15 January 2016 - 01:39 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:46 PM

Yes, the SeaTools for DOS diagnostic should do the job (among others).

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Just follow the guide for preparing a CD/DVD and run the long generic test.

Louis

#5 lala87

lala87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:32 PM

Yes, the SeaTools for DOS diagnostic should do the job (among others).

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Just follow the guide for preparing a CD/DVD and run the long generic test.

Louis

Hi again! I ended up running a diagnostic software for Western digital hard drives since mine is WD and it found zero errors (pictures attached) I really don't know what else to do or try. Hope you can help me. Thank you.

Attached Files

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:08 AM

Do you have the installation disc for this version of Windows 7?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 lala87

lala87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

Do you have the installation disc for this version of Windows 7?

I do, I created a USB with an iso file I downloaded, but it gets stuck in Loading, just like the recovery disk.

Edited by lala87, 18 January 2016 - 12:08 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that a USB device is the first device and the HDD the second device?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 lala87

lala87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that a USB device is the first device and the HDD the second device?

Yes, indeed. It shows a "windows is loading files" screen. Then, a green loading bar reading Microsoft corporation and it gets stuck there for hours. Same thing happened with the recovery dvd.

Edited by lala87, 18 January 2016 - 12:48 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

Was this a legal copy of Windows 7?

Where did you download it from?

#11 lala87

lala87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:14 PM

Update: I tried the USB with the windows 7 installation iso and it loaded in less than 10 seconds. The automatic start up repair solved the problem and I booted into windows normally after that. I suppose checking the hard drive, despite finding no errors, is what helped the recovery environment load. Thank you both for your time.

Edited by lala87, 18 January 2016 - 01:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users