Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want More Ram For Toshiba Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:13 PM

Hello, all. I am currently upgrading my laptop, as I am going away to college next month. I just ordered a new battery online (my old one is pretty much toast :thumbsup: ). During my search, I read that more RAM can extend battery life somewhat; I had been wanting more RAM anyway, (because sometimes my lappy is as slow as molasses :flowers: ) but that was icing on the cake!!

Anyway, I want to know: Can more RAM really extend battery life? Where can I get good service at a good price (Froogle has been giving me prices much higher than the manufacturer)?

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A65-S1062. It currently has 256mb of non-removable RAM, and I am looking to buy an extra 512mb. Any input?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:28 PM

As for more RAM extending battery life:

TRUE. When your RAM data overflows (too many active tasks) it will be moved and stored in Virtual Memory - which actually resides on your HDD. It takes more power to spin the HDD and READ/WRITE than it does to READ/WRITE RAM. So in theory, the more RAM you have, the longer the battery will last (compared to having less RAM).

As for good service? I can't do much for you there - I'm in Oz. :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:13 PM

3 RAM

http://www.upgradememory.com/product1.cfm?...924&AFID=29

http://www.memoryx.net/tosaa6me70.html

http://www.devbuzz.com/mp/buy/buyurl.asp?u...&catid=1401

As it difficult to recommend service when we don't know where you are and can't recommend local. Besides it would still have to be someone in your area that knows. So I'd say to try Toshiba as they can at least recommend their service repin your area.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/acat.t...mp;ccid=1291043

Edited by boopme, 27 July 2006 - 10:25 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

You can go to one of these 3 sites, plug in your computer specs, and they will give you recomendations as to how much, and what type of RAM, you need to use.

Crucial
Kingston
Corsair

I buy mine from Crucial, and never had any problems.
Also, check out the information on their sites.
There's a lot of good information about RAM, definitely worth the read.

Whatever you do, don't buy "cheap" RAM.
This is one area where it's definitely, "You get, what you pay for".
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:43 PM

Thanks tg1911, you certainly are correct. Sorry about that , but when I clicked on the memoryx link I saw it as Toshiba memory. my bad.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:18 AM

I just upgraded my Toshiba M45 from 512 mB to 1 gB through http://www.crucial.com

I now get all of my memory there because of:
1) Their memory configurator and their guarantee that it'll work
2) Their service. UPS lost some RAM from them once and they dispatched new RAM while still investigating it!
3) Their prices aren't much higher than I can find on PriceGrabber.com
4) The RAM comes with printed instructions on how to install it (this was my first laptop memory upgrade so I needed to be sure!)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for the input, you guys!!! I have placed an order for 512mb of RAM!!! :thumbsup: That will be triple my current speed! Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users