Computer is running Win7 Pro SP1, 64 bit.
MS .NET updates have been failing since June 2015 with error Code 656.
1) Tried .NET repair, updates fail.
2) Tried installing updates after clean boot. Updates fail.
3) Uninstalled .NET 4.5.2 using MS utility (through Control Panel, Uninstall)
4) attempted to reinstall 4.5.2 using downloaded offline installer, got error "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed".
5) ran a registry edit to fix Windows Installer as found on MS website, still cannot install.
6) ran .NET cleanup tool from MSDN
7) reregistered msiexec for 64 bit, 4 commands.
8) tried reinstall using web installer
(all work done under administrative network login).
Also tried reinstall when logged in as local system administrator, same error.
I still get "Windows Installer Service cannot be accessed" error when trying to reinstall .NET Framework 4.5.2.
I do have the option to revert to restore point and get back to where this computer was before all this started.