Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temporary Internet Files on XP question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bob1212

bob1212

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

So I have these two directories storing Temp internet files.

1.C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

2. C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_Internet_Files

This Wikipedia article says that the reason they are being stored in the second one is because of a possible malware issue. I had been infected with a backdoor Trojan some years ago, is that the reason why I have both of these? Do all XP users have both of these?

So I guess my question is, is it normal to have temp interenet files stored in both of these, or is the result of the backdoor Trojan?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/delete-temporary-internet-files

There's no reason to worry about any files which are temporary Internet files...all those files should be removed periodically, IMO, by the system user.

Louis

#3 bob1212

bob1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/delete-temporary-internet-files

There's no reason to worry about any files which are temporary Internet files...all those files should be removed periodically, IMO, by the system user.

Louis

Okay, but is it normal for XP to have both of these files storing temp internet history? That link says its not.

#4 Trakstarz

Trakstarz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:26 PM

It's not really anything to worry about, it just makes websites you visited previously load faster next time you visit it, those files don't store personal information, just website settings and such, its alright to clear those files

If you wanna clear the files, open your browser, and go into the settings that say something like 'clear browsing data' and choose temporary files to be deleted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users