Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it worth upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 patrocle

patrocle

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

Hello,

I have been running windows 7 ultimate for long time, now i wanted to do the updates on  my system and i keep getting the message to upgrade to windows 10! Not sure what to do as i have lot of stuff on my pc and 

don't want to louse anything during the upgrade. My other concern is that some of the application may not work in windows 10. 

My Specs:

mts0ar.jpg

So need some advice on this from the pro's.

Appreciate your info.

Regards.

P.

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2016 - 04:40 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:36 AM

Your hardware looks suitable, the upgrade process for most is smooth but sometimes it can go wrong.

My advice is still back up though, yes you mentioned you have a lot of files but you can always use a disk cloning tool

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:45 PM

If you want help stopping it upgrading (and hence stay with your current system)I can give you all the information you'll need, but the decision of whether to upgrade or not has to be yours. I would however suggest that what you stand to gain is pretty minimal whereas your losses could be enormous, it's all the usual risks of changing OS and the things (hardware and programs) that may become incomaptible if you do so. Whatever you do, make a system image now, whether you choose to upgrade or not it may come in very helpful some day. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/#manual
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Shadow7655

Shadow7655

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:24 PM

I kinda like win 10 but there's some bugs but I can deal with it

#5 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:47 PM

The stuff on your pc should already be backed up. so losing it during the upgrade it should not be an issue. The vast majority of upgrades preserve your files and programs, and allow you to roll back to the previous os for 30 days. But, stuff could happen.

As rp88 said, it's up to you. My experience was 98% positive, but YMMV.

#6 patrocle

patrocle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:47 AM

Your hardware looks suitable, the upgrade process for most is smooth but sometimes it can go wrong.

My advice is still back up though, yes you mentioned you have a lot of files but you can always use a disk cloning tool

Yes, will back up first!.

If you want help stopping it upgrading (and hence stay with your current system)I can give you all the information you'll need, but the decision of whether to upgrade or not has to be yours. I would however suggest that what you stand to gain is pretty minimal whereas your losses could be enormous, it's all the usual risks of changing OS and the things (hardware and programs) that may become incomaptible if you do so. Whatever you do, make a system image now, whether you choose to upgrade or not it may come in very helpful some day. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/#manual

I know that some software may not work,but by looking at the Windows 10 i may like it so will give it a try.

I kinda like win 10 but there's some bugs but I can deal with it

Yes, all windows have little bugs, but with time they will be fixed.

The stuff on your pc should already be backed up. so losing it during the upgrade it should not be an issue. The vast majority of upgrades preserve your files and programs, and allow you to roll back to the previous os for 30 days. But, stuff could happen.

As rp88 said, it's up to you. My experience was 98% positive, but YMMV.

Yes, will backup and will upgrade to Win10, hopefully all goes okay.

Thank you for help! Thank you.

#7 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

My opinion.

Absolutely NOT.

W7 is a good OS.

W10 is a cheap circus and a heap of spyware, in where really, MSFT have monetarised the desktop and you and your personal information and everything you do, multiplied by a billion or so,  becomes the product being purveyed by MSFT.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#8 patrocle

patrocle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:52 AM

So i did update to Win10 and i kind like it... Now i know there is some software around that will disable some of the privacy, but need to find it.

If Win10 will not work at later time i guess will revert back to win7.

Thanks to all for advice and help.

#9 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:56 PM

I'm happy your upgrade went well. It's quite different from Win 7, but, once you get used to it, I doubt you'll revert.

Aura posted a thread addressing privacy settings here.

Enjoy.

#10 patrocle

patrocle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

@Leithanne, Win10 looks good! I like it. Thank you for that link! Will have a look. Regards.

#11 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:45 PM

Bottom line for me is if you buy a new computer, go with 10.  But if you're on 7 or 8.1 don't upgrade.  7 is supported until 2020 and 8.1 is supported until 2023, and there's nothing new in 10 that appeals to me.  

I've been an Insider tester since 10/1/2014, and can say it runs all my old software and is stable.  However so do 7 & 8.1.  For most folks I don't see the need to risk having Murphy jump on you with driver problems or other incompatibilities.  These don't occur in the majority of cases, but do happen with enough folks to make a risk you should consider.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users