Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help : How to Run USSD on Linux Mint 17.3

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sarkar

sarkar

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:05 AM

Hello there  :rolleyes:

I use a dongle(USB data card) to connect to internet with limited data plan. The dongle use a SIM Card to connect to 3G network. In windows when I insert it for the first time it install software and give me a UI from where I can connect/disconnect to internet, make call, send sms and check data balance left in my account by running USSD code much like in mobile phone. 

Now after upgrading to Windows 10 I have noticed that it is using too much data and is downloading something in the background and so I install linux mint. Modem works fine with no issue without installing any software like in windows but because of that I have no UI to check my data balance left. Now calling or sending SMS isn't important but how much data balance left is very important to me. 

So how do I run USSD code in Linux ?  

Thanks in advance  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:30 AM

Ugh specialized software is a real pain in the ass, does your service use a webpage you can check data from?

If not there was a few tools for this but I am unsure if they are developed anymore.

Edit:

Look at this, there are two of them that are in ubuntus repos and will work in linux mint:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/391320/balance-of-gsm-usb-modem-using-ussd

Only V Mobile Broadband isnt in the repo anymore

Edited by MadmanRB, 14 January 2016 - 09:52 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 sarkar

sarkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

Service provider is Aircel. No webpage available to check balance. USSD code is the only option. 

Before posting here I tried both. 

If I install Modern manager GUI it is detecting my dongle also showing network strength. But if I enter USSD code it always says timeout.

If I install Prepaid manager, it is doing nothing. I am sure there must be some configuration but I don't know how to do it.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:32 AM

Must be very proprietary.

Ugh nonsense.

Perhaps you can run the software in wine?

Edited by MadmanRB, 14 January 2016 - 10:32 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users