Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to use adwcleaner. No permission it says.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jmillar

jmillar

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:48 AM

Hi,

I have been a regular user of this great software for removing and searching for malware etc. I was directed here by an old Microsoft guru that said it was one of the best software 'out there' for finding malware etc.

My problem is I have just got the windows 10 update for malicious software that was downloaded automatically and for some reason when I do a adwcleaner it will not allow me to access this software on ur site. Is it anything to do with this update?

It states that 'you do not have permission' it shows the path at the top of this window as my user name through to INETCACHE.adwcleaner' is it something on my settings in windows 10 that has been altered that is causing this problem? I have found that other things such as videos on the internet are not opening up as usual.

No wonder they are called bleeping computers lol.

One other thing, it states that 'windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access it' I have tried running it in 'run as administrator' but I never had to do that before.

I have the 1.67 meg program on my downloads but it just will not allow me to get into it. I also Tried troubleshoot compatibility test also, no luck.

Jim

Edited by jmillar, 14 January 2016 - 09:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:40 AM

The Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) is a free virus scanning tool from Microsoft that automatically runs in the background and focuses on the detection and removal of a limited number of specific malware families...a small subset of active malicious software. MSRT is updated on the second Tuesday of every month and offered as a Windows update

Some specialized fix tools (like AdwCleaner), may at times be detected by some anti-virus and anti-malware scanners as a Potentially Unwanted Program or possible threat. MSRT does not include detection and removal of adware, toolbars or Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so it should not be interfering with AdwCleaner.

If you were referring to an update for Windows Defender 10, the same info as above applies but I am not aware of it detecting AdwCleaner.

You might want to try rebooting, redownloading AdwCleaner, saving it directly to your desktop...then right-click on it and select Run As Administrator.

If you still encounter a problem, try running the tool in safe mode.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jmillar

jmillar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:21 PM

My Kaspersky anti-virus has detected before the adwcleaner and it removed some of the files in the program as a threat.

I tried the TDSSkiller program here to and it ran np's but the adwcleaner program keeps coming up with the same warning. I am sure its the same thing that has happened to me when I was an insider for Microsoft. Three times my laptop stopped working after a core build failed so I gave that up as bad joke and just downloaded the bare windows 10 download only 17 gig and stopped the insiders build from coming through anymore.

That's until the latest update came along with the MRST update which required a restart and for some reason it has altered something and won't do something as simple as run the adwcleaner thing. mmmmmmmmm starnge and very annoying. I have never run something in safe mode before. Tap F8 I believe on reboot.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:28 PM

Kaspersky and other anti-virus vendors detect and block specialized tools like AdwCleaner from time to time for various reasons. The problem is really with the anti-virus vendors who keep targeting these programs and NOT with the tools themselves. We can inform the developers but they have encountered this issue many times before and in most cases there isn't much they can do about it. Once the detection is reported to the anti-virus vendor, they are usually quick to fix it by releasing an updated definition database.

Instructions for safe mode are in the link which I provided above.

#5 jmillar

jmillar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:46 PM

I think it is better to come clean in a situation like this but it was my fault this time and not (windows 10).

I remember that I had been dabbling with the 'settings and the additional settings' in the Kaspersky anti virus and I ran the Trusted application mode' and enabled it to run, it was that that had stopped me getting adwcleaner to work.

My mistake, I apologise. I didn't mean to waste ur time. Cheers.... Jim

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:57 PM

No need to apologize...we all make mistakes.

What counts is that you figured it out and learned something in the process. So good job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users