Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about Dual-Router Networking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Phaseus

Phaseus

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:29 AM

I'm helping a friend upgrade her computer. She also said she was interested in buying a router to both extend her wifi range and allow her and her friends to connect to the internet without having to deal with everyone else's traffic in the home. I need to know how to set something like this up so I can her what to buy.

I'm assuming she has a modem, and I know she has one router on the other side of the house already. She says she has a phone jack, so my question is this:

Can I just have her buy a router and hook it up to the phone jack, or is there something more to dual-router networking?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:19 AM

there is a lot more. the internet connects to the modem. The modem to a router [or use a combo unit. This is a one to one relationship not a one to many like what happens with a router.

"allow her and her friends to connect to the internet without having to deal with everyone else's traffic in the home"

that won't happen unless you get a second internet connection. its not the router but the internet connection that matters.

Here is how you set up routers in series using the same internet connection but having one network
http://www.techsupportforum.com/3001-connecting-additional-routers/

connect the 2nd router by its wan port and modify its lan ip address range to not conflict with the first routers lan ip address range and you have two separate lans.

#3 Phaseus

Phaseus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:28 PM

Alright, thanks for the information. I've been trying to convince her that it wasn't worthwhile to use two routers, but I wanted to come here just to make sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users