Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound popping with Windows 10 high DPC latency

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FlyingSheep

FlyingSheep

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

Specs OS: Windows 10 Pro
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E Quad-Core 3.6GHz
MOBO: ASRock X79 Extreme 6
RAM: Mushkin 8GB DDR3 1600
Display: ASUS PB287Q
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Zx with DT 770 PRO 350OHM

My problem I believe is Windows 10, I've googled like no other but I can't seem to fix the issue. I set my PC up for easy wipes, because of this I did clean installs of 10 then to 7 and then back to 10. Windows 7 did not give me this issue.

So onto the issue: I get weird popping sounds in my headset and what I can only describe as momentary episodes of extremely rapid stuttering, there is FPS drops that I can see sometimes, not sure if it's the stutter or par to the issue. Sometimes I can open up a game like League or Warframe and not have any issues. Sometimes the issue will pop up mid-game, late-game, or simply just randomly. I can be watching youtube at my desktop and it will start. Sometimes it starts with Windows.

Just to be clear, the sound issue is on W10, I didn't have this issue on 7. I am nearly 100% sure it's not the headphones as they sound absolutely glorious in 7 and sometimes with 10 (when the issue isn't happening).

Some issues that I don't really think are related but I've noticed since the upgrades:
- On W7 I had some start-up issues, happened 2 or 3 times, didn't stick long enough with 7 to find out.
- In some games, the resolution is messed up in that I've got a box that my mouse cannot pass that is smaller than my resolution (resolution is set to 4k). I can see the entire game, but my mouse can only go so far. This is fixed by restarting the program (sometimes).
- Watching Twitch in full screen drops FPS.

- Something that makes me wonder if W10 hates 4k resolution is that VERY often programs like TeamSpeak and Steam don't stick to where I place them. They'll be reset in random locations throughout my desktop.

My thoughts: I think it has something to do with Creative. I've heard a lot of talk about how great their tech is and how poor their software is. Edit: I just plugged in my logi G930 and latency doesn't change, so that's a no.

I checked my latency with http://i.imgur.com/uogIDqj.jpg after a helpful tip that this might be the issue and that's the result. It's nice to know that it might be the issue, but after hours and hours of Googling I'm not exactly sure what to do with this information.

This isn't the first place I tried, Reddit got me started on the DPC latency but no matter what I tried I just couldn't get it fixed. Tom's Hardware didn't have a clue. Here are the original posts if anyone cared.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2929943/sound-popping-windows-high-dpc-latency.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3znkra/computer_lag_sound_popping_with_windows_10/

Thank you for your time.

Edited by FlyingSheep, 13 January 2016 - 07:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlyingSheep

FlyingSheep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:51 AM

There has got to be someone on the internet that has an idea. I have faith internet. I believe.

#3 FlyingSheep

FlyingSheep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:17 AM

Faith... Failing.

#4 FlyingSheep

FlyingSheep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

Is there another thread I can take this too, or am I in the wrong thread? I can't believe three websites and only one person had an idea. Or am I doing something wrong and this is an easy fix and I'm missing something?

Edited by FlyingSheep, 20 January 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#5 FlyingSheep

FlyingSheep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:32 PM

bump

#6 FlyingSheep

FlyingSheep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

bump

#7 FlyingSheep

FlyingSheep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:52 PM

Well thanks for all the help everyone, I've decided to fix this issue by depriving myself of Windows 10.

#8 FlyingSheep

FlyingSheep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

Bumping for feature fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users