Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Usb Drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KATRINY

KATRINY

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:32 PM

Hello I am running xp pro on my computer. The problem I am having is somehow I did something that corrupted my USB drivers. My keyboard and mouse run on this so I am not able to log on to my system. I tried plugging in a regular ps2 mouse and keyboard and starting my system and I am able to use that mouse to click on my profile icon on my start up screen but as soon as I try to type in a password the mouse freezes and the keyboard does not work. I am able to use the ps2 mouse to log on to the guest account because it does not require me to type in a password. On the guest account I checked the device manager list and there definitely is a problem with both the USB Ports and now the ps2 keyboard but I do not have security access to change or fix anything on the guest account. Everything on my computer is currently updated and I am running Mcafee security pack (firewall virus scan exc.) I also have my xp cd still if knowing helps. How do I fix this ? Thank you Katie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:48 PM

In the device manager, can you select update driver (or rollback) and get it to search on the Windows Install disk?

Alternatively, you could use the Device Manager to 'Uninstall' your USB ports, and then allow Windows XP to locate them (as if you had plugged in a new PCI Card) and automatically load the drivers. The USB ports don't work anyway, so it might be worth a try... :thumbsup:.

Third alternative is to log onto the net and see if you can locate the drivers for your particular MoBo - they will also include the USB drivers. Reloading the MoBo INF files may also fix the problem.

Hopefully I've actually given you some ideas!!! :flowers:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 KATRINY

KATRINY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:10 PM

I am unable to do that from the guest account I do not have access to change or uninstall anything from there.

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:27 PM

DOH!

Are you able to obtain a ps2 keyboard which works - or does that one normally work, but not at the moment because of the said issue?

Well, because you are unable to make the Guest A/C part of the Administrators user group, the only way to go is to try any possible combinations to get into you normal profile.

If the keyboard is faulty, you may be able to get a USB to PS2 plug (for your normal USB keyboard) to get around it that way....?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users