Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Precision T5400 won't boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:57 PM

Dell Precision T5400

Xeon E5450 x2

32 GB Ram

Windows 7 Pro

1 TB Seagate primary drive

2 TB WD backup drive

XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB

The last few days it would shut down randomly mostly when watching Youtube videos. I had recently upgraded my video driver so rolled that back yesterday. This morning when I got up it was off, I leave it running all the time so I knew it had shut down again. I hit the power button, the power came on for a couple of seconds then shut back off. I tried several times with the same result. No beeps and I couldn't tell what the diagnostic lights were doing as you will see in the video. I hit the power supply test button on the back and the LED was green indicating no power supply problem. I removed the RAM and just put 2 DIMMs back in, tried a different video card. Removed the Firewire card. Removed the second processor, haven't tried swapping the first one out yet but that's next. I tried disconnecting the hard drives, optical and floppy. I've been monitoring the temperatures the last couple of days, the CPUs idle at 39C but never get above about 52C, the video card idles at 36C and will get into the 60s when benchmarking. I don't know what else to do. I will try swapping the other CPU. Here is a video of what it does, I'm hoping one of you guys have seen this and know what the problem is.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/7eSLWWsU86s

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:59 PM

OK, I guess it's the motherboard, gonna order another one.

#3 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:07 PM

Just to follow up. It was the motherboard. Dell wouldn't sell me a refurb but I got a used one from a reputable dealer on eBay. Everything is back up and running.

#4 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:45 AM

Good enjoy your computer
Also there is a post in dell about what led lights status means

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#5 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

At a former job, the shop was all Dell.  I will say, I like Dell well enough for business PC's, but we had a fair amount of failed mobo's due to capacitors popping.  I don't know if that is particular to Dell or not though.

#6 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

I like dell too

Don't even think about it if your not sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users