An unwanted/unknown Chrome extension in Slimjet browser (x32) has brought me to post here (Win 8.1 Pro x64). Here are the two problems and what's been done:
1) Developed within the past few days, I believe: In Slimjet browser, an extension called "Word Highlight" ("W") appeared on the toolbar and shows itself as "installed by enterprise policy." So far, I've been unable to get rid of it: uninstall is blocked and I've tried a number of methods suggested on Slimjet's forum, most notably centering around the methods described here:http://tinypic.com/m/j6ty01/1, but nothing has worked so far.
- Have run MBAM pro, Comodo CIS and ESET online scanner, AdwCleaner and HiJackThis and have found nothing, zero malware/adware. Hitman Pro found a lot of tracker cookies but deleting them had no effect.
- Word Highlight extension does not appear in any of my other five browsers, two of which are Chromium based (Opera 35 and Vivaldi);
- I'm very careful about excluding adware, etc., during program installs and haven't installed anything recently that hasn't been well vetted (of course, that doesn't prevent the surreptitious install)
**- The registration code for Word Highlight is "ooabkmkhabkahcjbgpiajffckeibpdoa." After deleting its entries from the registry and deleting it from folders/files, restarting Slimjet reintroduces it in folders/files (Chrome-extension). Fully uninstalling Slimjet (Revo Pro), rebooting and reinstalling Slimjet reintroduces it to both the registry and files/folders. Note that after the code references were eliminated, the Word Highlight toolbar button is still there but grayed out, and the extension itself remains listed in Extensions and unable to be removed. Since no other Slimjet user has reported this problem with Slimjet, I have to assume there is something on my computer triggering it.
2) For a month or so: Album Player 2 (x32), which is my second choice sonically for playing music files (http://albumplayer.ru/english.html), has been unable to complete opening due to a decoder error. For a couple of months before that, I used it without problem, then all of a sudden upon starting it began to return an error box, "Could not load the decoder!" The thing is that even with this error, the decoder process shows as running in Windows Task Mgr. If I uninstall the program, reboot and reinstall, it will run correctly one or two times, then the decoder error kicks back in. Since the program's developer says nothing has changed re the decoder for some time, and other users on the JPlay forum haven't experienced this problem, I've been stuck. While I don't have any knowledge that this and the Chrome-extension issue are related, I have to consider the possibility that they are.
Win 8.1 Pro x64 (current)
Gigabyte GA-Z97-UD5H-BK / Intel i5-4690K, 16 GB RAM (4x4gb)
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD + Seagate HDDs (3) - 2 x 3TB, 2TB
Sapphire HD7750 Ultimate GPU, Seasonic X650 PSU
Plextor PX-891SA CD/DVD
Dell U2412M Monitor (1920x1200)
IBM Model M keyboard / Bornd M120 wireless mouse
Canon MP640 & Brother HL-2270DW printers (USB)
USB card + external audio system
Mod Edit: Removed spam post and your response to it - Hamluis.
Edited by highstream, 14 January 2016 - 03:28 AM.