Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help with virtual machine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blake4445

blake4445

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:31 PM

i got a virtual machine for windows 95 online and put it into oracle vm virtualbox and its working fine... but i wanted to test out the internet on it to see what it used to be like... so it brought me to the setup.. then when it started installing files and thne it said "please insert disk labled Windows 95 CD-ROM"  but i cant find a windows 95 cd rom file anywhere on the internet.... so i really need a link to a windows 95 cd rom file... thank you if you reply

Edited by Al1000, 05 February 2017 - 01:20 PM.
Moved from Windows 95/98/ME

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raggor1

raggor1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:12 PM

Hey,

Hum the only legal way to obtain a windows 95 disk is to buy one from ebay ..

You can try your luck with P2P tho. Im sure its not really hard to find ;) ( I dont know if this forum will take down any attemps to mention a torrent site or anything so .. ) 

Hope you'll find what you need ^^

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:09 AM

You can find some on Ebay for $10-20 + shipping, but I'd say that's more than it's worth.

Given that you are seemingly running a pirated OS, and are now seemingly asking for a pirated CD download, you may also want to familiarize yourself with the forum rules, in particular the parts on piracy. Obviously laws vary from country to country, and what is considered piracy in one may not be in another, but BleepingComputer.com's definition of what is/isn't piracy is pretty straight forward.

#4 raggor1

raggor1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:14 AM

Totally agree with hollowface

I also got my answer about pirated software.

Tyvm!

#5 karuvally

karuvally

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:12 AM

Windows 95 is an abandoned Operating System, so downloading it from the internet is totally legal.

You can download Windows 95 and a whole lot of other abandoned Operating Systems from WinworldPC (https://winworldpc.com/library)

By the way, If you are just trying to experience the look and feel of Windows 9x, you will have a more satisfying experience with Windows NT 4.0,

It will run a whole lot faster on Virtualbox as it is supported by Virtualbox guest additions

Edited by karuvally, 13 June 2016 - 03:18 AM.

#6 DodoIso

DodoIso

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for the clarification, karuvally.

Btw, I love WinNT 4.0, but I would say that Win2000 (and all its Plug&Play stuff) is closer to Win95 than WinNT.  And from experience, I would also say that the VirtualBox Guest Additions are much better implemented for a Win2000 guest than a WinNT guest.  I never tried Win9x as a guest.  I much prefer the WinNT / NTFS stability.

#7 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:16 AM

Windows 95 is an abandoned Operating System, so downloading it from the internet is totally legal.

No, this is not necessarily the case unless the manufacturer says it's OK.

In the case of Windows, you don't actually own your copy of the software: all you own is a licence to use it.

Please see this Wikipedia article on "abandonware."

So although Windows 95 has been disowned (by a good number of years now) it is still under copyright thus the copyright laws still apply to it.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#8 DodoIso

DodoIso

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:36 PM

I agree that Windows 95 is copyrighted material, and that it is licensed to users.  But look at it from the user's perspective.  The licensee has the right to a certain number of installed copies, and backup copies as well.  The user is perfectly within his rights to download a backup copy from the internet.  That's a no brainier to me.

Now, regarding abandonware service providers, this is a totally different question.  It has become a gray area, IMO.  They are providing a support service for licensees that the copyright owner no longer support.  If this was brought to court, what would be the Judge decision?  Favor the rights of the negligent copyright owner, or the rights of the legitimate licensees?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users