Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer restarts without warning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 flobiwan

flobiwan

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

I have a Dell XPS 8700 and two days ago, i pushed my PC slightly back on the floor and it instantly restarted.  I got everything back up and this AM, i plugged my iphone into a USB port to charge it and the PC restarted again.  I tried to replicate the error later by unplugging and replugging my iphone and moving the PC back and forth but nothing happened.  I also checked the power cord but it's solidly plugged in.

I checked Event viewer both times and saw no warnings or anything unusual except for several warnings that have been happening for months - "The Intel® Management Engine Interface is being reset".  I get several of these per day and have been (perhaps foolishly) have been ignoring them because they don't seem to be causing an issue.  could this be related to the restarts?

A similar thing happened to me years ago with another PC and i found out through Event Viewer that my video card had gone bad and was overheating so the computer shut itself down to protect itself.  I see no warnings like that this time though.

Another thought i had is that my UPS is 13 years old (i've replaced the battery several times over the years).  Could that be going bad and causing this issue?  It seems to make sense to me as, if it was the UPS, the PC would show no warning signs or indications.

Also, about a month ago, my router went bad so i replaced it with a Netgear 24.  Don't know if that would have anything to do with it but i thought i'd mention it.

Attached is my PC info from Speccy.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LuFGSWoDIm3cLHUTrvutSxJ

Edited by flobiwan, 13 January 2016 - 01:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:08 PM

My first thought was possible overheating, but the Speccy report shows 29C, so if that's typical, it must be something else.  I think I'd run memory diagnostics (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Windows Memory Diagnostic).  If that doesn't find a problem, check the hard drive (right-click C: -> Properties -> Tools tab -> Check now button -> Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors -> Start).  It will probably ask if you want to do this next time you boot, tell it yes.  When you boot, it's going to run a good while, so do this when you aren't in a big hurry to get back up and running.

If the above doesn't find anything, the next place I'd look would be the cryptic system event log, but try the above first.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users