Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS server doubled?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 killmasta93

killmasta93

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me on why or some how my DNS server doubled one day.

I currently have a windows server 2012r2

See picture

Usually the DNS on the photo was the ZEUS then of all of a sudden i see zeus,casa,local no idea how it got there but it seems like an exact replica

Thank you

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

I'd not be worried about it. You are not seeing two separate servers, you are seeing one console with two references to the same server.

Forgetting about DNS for a moment, the shell of the DNS manager program is just a normal Microsoft management console.

To that blank console DNS management snap in is added and that is pointed to your DNS server. It looks like a second DNS management snap in has been added, pointed to the same server. One referenced by just the hostname ("zeus") and one by the fully qualified name of the dns server "zeus.casa.local".

It would be easy to remove one of the references, but it's not doing any harm.

x64

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:37 AM

Actually the two entries appear to be someone making a child domain zeus.casa.local.

Expand Zeus.  Does it show zeus.local?

Can you expand both forward lookup zones so we can see what is listed in them?

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:50 PM

Sorry, I beg to differ - The tree view on the left is showng DNS server names - the same server "zeus.casa.local" and (I presume) it's unqualified plain hostname "zeus". Notice that the top one is selected and that in the main pane the DNS manager information for that server is shown. That includes the "Forward Lookup Zones" node (in which I expect you will find a zone called "casa.local", which I think will contain a DC named "Zeus"...

x64

#5 killmasta93

killmasta93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:26 PM

Hi,

Thank you guys for the reply, Really apreciate

Well Here im attaching 2 photos one that is my server and another i put up a while back it seems that zeus is the dns So not really sure if i should do anything about it? but it does somewhat seem weird all of sudden out of nowhere. Well actually not sure it this has to do anything but Been trying to implement WPAD and i did have to delete GlobalQueryBlockList the string WPAD for it to resolve.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2003485

Thank you again

Attached Files

#6 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:50 AM

You do not need to do anything - your network will not suffer in the slightest by having the two references in that console.

It wouldnt be an intended effect of the WPAD thing. It could be something that you did whilst investigating the issue, but it realy is trivial. I'd leave the second reference alone.

x64

#7 killmasta93

killmasta93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:43 PM

Thanks Really appreciate the info :) So if i wanted to add another A record I would just add it on the Zeus section? and should replicate to the zeus.casa.local?

#8 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:29 AM

There is no replication to be done. Changes you make under Zeus will appear under 'zeus.casa.local', not because it needed to replicate to get there, but because it is is the same place referred to by two different names.

I think that zeus is the name of your domain conttoller/DNS server, and that your domain is casa.local

Whist on your network, you can refer to that server by just ist hostname 'zeus', or by its fully qualified domain name 'zeus.casa.local' - it is the same server.

x64

#9 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:40 PM

X64 is right, its 2 connections to the same server, one being just zues (Netbios name) and then other has been the FQDM.

open the mmc and connect using netbios name and then connect using the FQDM

Personally i always make a connection to netbios name.

#10 killmasta93

killmasta93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:42 PM

Hi thanks for the reply, So far have not had any problems just curious all of sudden it shows zeus.casa.local but as long as it does not bother the system ill leave it as it is :)

Thank you again guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users