Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux From Scratch

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:47 AM

Has anybody here built their own OS from Linux From Scratch?

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

How hard is it? Do you need to know a lot of different programming languages?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:59 AM

You shouldn't have to really know any programming languages as you won't be actually coding the Linux Kernel yourself. You more than likely will get a pre built kernel then customize it to your needs (adding what drivers it supports, etc etc). You are going to need to know how to use the terminal though.

Check out their book and if its something you think you can do, give it a shot!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,158 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:11 AM

Err no if you are still new to linux dont go for linux from scratch.

If you really want to get your teeth into it I would more recommend Arch linux as its very well documented, but if you are looking for gui installers none will be found in either place.

My advice is to try other distros in between.

Start with mint

then go use Ubuntu

Then try Fedora and openSUSE

Then try Manjaro and antergos

Then try arch, slackware and Gentoo

Then after all that learniong command line and how things work in other distros try LFS

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:00 PM

Yes

It's like trying to touch your left elbow with your left hand :hysterical:

No, but compiling from source and C are handy.

I recommend you look into remastering the system you already use and love. :wub:

The Joy of Remastering

Remastersys

Edited by raw, 13 January 2016 - 07:02 PM.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:22 AM

raw, great article that you linked! :thumbup2:

This must be what the (outsourced) IT staff at my primary care physician's office did in creating a customized Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (w/out Unity) to meet the needs of their day to day operations after ditching Windows 7 not long after 8.1 was released, And probably at a high expense, though they were able to continue to use all of their 2-3 year old hardware, which likely more than paid for the remastered OS. New computers, scanners, and other hardware for a medium sized office with over 30 employees would have cost an upfront fortune, though there were some minor glitches at first that was fixed, which was included in the outsourced package upgrade support. 

My doctor came to enjoy Ubuntu so much that she now uses the OS at home, as well as her husband & children, w/out Unity (a couple of Terminal lines makes this change). I gave her a copy of Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, which her daughter uses & loves over Windows 7. It's likely that my doctor wasn't the only one in the office who made the switch. 

The idea of remastering to meet one's needs is a good one, though with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS coming out next year, and Linux Mint Cinnamon & MATE will follow in 2-3 months, waiting it out may be a good thing to do for some users, unless one wants to go ahead & get some experience. After all, most OS's based on Ubuntu 14.04 are supported until or through April 2019, and there's no 100% guarantee that one will prefer the next version. So either way, getting some practice in now will help a lot later. :)

This is also what many who distributes distros based on Ubuntu does, or at least a part of the procedure. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 Rikairchy

Rikairchy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:39 AM

I have built a distro from scratch. It is a little scary at first, especially if you lack a lot of Linux experience. Most of LFS is finding the kernel you want to run, finding the proper modules, rebuilding the kernel, and installing all the applications and dependencies you require.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:16 AM

Rikairchy, that does sound to be a scary experience. :thumbup2:

Believe I'll stick with the prepackaged distros & make adjustments as needed for the best experience for my usage. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 Rikairchy

Rikairchy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:42 AM

If you're doing that, Gentoo might be something to look at. It is source-based, but it builds it against your machine, creating a personalized version just for you. Although, Debian is quite nice itself.

#9 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:38 AM

I Started building from scratch.. but never finished  I never really had enough time to read a lot and do everything ....as well as waiting for all the Compiling to happen... The machine was quite old probably may not have been dual core.. and compiling was taking an eternity...

If you want to try making your own...I would suggest playing around with Installing and Configuring in the terminal.. Arch,and Slackware... as youll need to do some reading and translate all the instructions.....then move on and install and use Gentoo...and learn all the details on the compiling.  (You can do that by installing packages on your own machine now by getting them from the source  rather than from the repos)

After i started using Gentoo and Arch  i have never seen the need to go back to Trying to Build my Own.. even though the Compiling is 90% Faster on my newer machines now

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,977 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:13 PM

Seems to me, one can do this without to much problems with systems like Timeshift or System back.  You would setup your current distro, then copy it with one of these programs into an iso.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/create-a-live-system-iso-for-your-ubuntu-based-linux-machines-using-systemback/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users