Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VAIO Dekstop not booting, weird graphics

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:13 AM

I am not seeing a model number of this old XP machine anywhere, only the VAIO sign on it. When you power on it is showing weird graphics on the screen as the attached image shows. The owner said he was downloading something from the net when the pc powered off then would not boot to windows so we are suspecting this is a virus situation but it doesn't have to be.

I tried pressing F1, F2 and F8 but it will not go to the bios or safe mode. The guy wishes to save the data but I don't want to remove the HDD to attach to another machine since I don't know if it's a virus situation I am dealing with, any ideas please?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:53 AM

Looks hardware related and not virus. Have you tried using a live linux disk? Other than than that the only way to pull data would be attaching the drive to another computer via an adapter and using a live linux disk to avoid infection.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:21 AM

Linux won't load because I can't get to boot options or the bios to select booting from anything, this is my first option before attaching the drive to my other pc. Any way to get into the bios or boot options screen?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

If you can't get to boot options then I see no other way to pull the data.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

Ok, I will remove and attach the drive to my other pc, get back to you.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:54 AM

There's a ton of viruses on this HDD so scanning and cleaning before backing up but meanwhile, does this mean this has mobo issues since I cannot access setup?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

Even without a HDD the computer should still be able to access BIOS on boot.

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

hello,

I had an old vaio XP desktop that displayed a berzerk pattern like that once. it was a burnt out video card that came with the unit installed. an old ATI x1300 or something like that.... i was fortunate to have the motherboard onboard video as a backup and uninstalled the card and plugged the VGA into the onboard video jack and all was well until i could get another card in it. this may be what happened to this PC

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the input. I too had immediately suspected graphics issue and this machine does come with a PCI graphics card but as you can see from the attached pic there isn't an onboard vga port.

Attached Files

#10 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

it looks like that unit is newer than the one i had.  you do have s-video coming out of the tuner card though, and also the video card itself has an s-video and dvi-i.

do you have an alternate video card you can try?  or maybe try the dvi connection to your monitor?

Edited by synergy513, 13 January 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

I had tried both dvi and vga connector initially, same deal. I have a few pci video cards but none of them fit in this slot. I already told the owner he would be better off geting a good used pc at least win7 duo core machine for the same price it would cost to both pay my labor fee and order a card for this "if" that was the problem.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:46 PM

That really is an old computer and Sony is getting out the PC business.

#13 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

Too bad, in my opinion both sony and Lenovo made the better pc's but then as I understand these brands don't actually make the pc's just put their names on them.

#14 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

that looks like a single slot standard card, i keep an old trusty 9500gt card just for such events where the motherboard offers no onboard display out. i have two ASUS MoBos that don't have the onboard, so if the card ever goes out, at least i would have a backup..

if that is malware, the alternate linux usb/ODD boot is prolly the best approach at least to get to the point of saving valuable data, but if you can't get display for BIOS access or safe mode, ...hmmmh, but that looks hardware related....

Edited by synergy513, 13 January 2016 - 01:59 PM.

#15 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:11 PM

I have already attached the HDD to my work pc and backed up his data so he needs a better pc than this old iron horse.

Edited by mystic12, 13 January 2016 - 02:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users