Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring from a windows 7 machine to a windows 10 machine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 alzie2

alzie2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

I have a Windows 10 laptop and a windows 7 desktop. I'd like to transfer all of my personal files from the windows 7 machine to the windows 10 machine. What's the easiest way to do this? I have 3rd party backup software like Macrium which I assume I can use to do this. Am I correct?

Edited by alzie2, 13 January 2016 - 09:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:01 PM

Hi alzie2,

I see that this is your first post. :welcome:

First, the answer to your question is yes you can use Macrium to backup and restore files from one computer to another.

If you are just moving files, you can copy the files you want to transfer to the Windows 10 machine from the Windows 7 machine to a USB hard drive, plug the USB hard drive into the Windows 10 machine and copy the files over.

If you are upgrading an existing Windows 7 machine to Windows 10, the upgrade will not delete personal files so once the upgrade is done your photos, documents, etc. will already be there.

If you are going to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, you might consider following the instructions HERE to create a complete disk image of your Windows 7 machine in case you have a problem after the upgrade begins.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

packetanalyzer

Edited by packetanalyzer, 12 January 2016 - 11:04 PM.

#3 alzie2

alzie2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for your reply. I'm not doing an upgrade. I'm trying to go from one computer to another and after the transfer I'd like to just sit down and run the new machine as if I were still on the old machine. I know that I'll have to reinstall some apps and change others. It's just that after I install the apps I'd like to just run them and have all of my data in place. Also, I have a full File History backup in the cloud so I could probably just put those files on the Windows 10 Machine. But I assume they have to be put in the right places. Any suggestions on that??

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

Knowing that the previous solution for XP to 7 was "Easy Transfer", here's the official page by Microsoft.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-easy-transfer-is-not-available-in-windows-10

It's not as good as it was but at least it's something, I guess. shrug.gif

Edited by TsVk!, 12 January 2016 - 11:44 PM.

#5 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:51 PM

TsVk!'s answer is probably the easiest choice. You mentioned you have Macrium. Yes you can restore files with the original folder structures with Macrium. Instructions on how to do this are HERE.

#6 alzie2

alzie2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:08 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll have to decide which way strikes me and then report back success or failure.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

Or just use an external hard drive, probably a good option anyhow as external drives are very useful

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:10 AM

I'd vote for data transferring tools. Most of them can also transfer apps and programs, which allows you to avoid reinstalling everything again. PCmover or Easeus PCtrans  can do it well.

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

Interesting!  I'm a big fan of Easeus, having used their backup and partitioning programs for several years.  I'd never heard of the PCtrans program before coming across your post, so I've downloaded it and started testing with it.  The first things I've noticed are that there's some learning curve with it.  It's hard to tell whether it's doing anything until you notice the little spinning circles.  That takes a while because it looks at all your data.  The next thing I noticed is that the free version says it will only migrate two applications, but for $49.95 they'll be happy to sell you the Pro version.  The Pro version does have a free trial, but I haven't tried that yet.  The third thing I've found is that when I ran it in a 65GB Windows 7 partition, it says I have 1742GB of data!  Either this is a serious bug or it's looking at my 3TB external hard drive.  I haven't seen any way to tell it just to look at my C: drive, is that possible?  I'm about to try it with Windows 8.1, we'll see what happens with that.

Having just migrated from a Windows 7 laptop to a new laptop with Windows 10, I did it the old fashioned way.  I just copied my data to a flash drive, reinstalled my programs, and copied my data back in.  I did use export/import for my e-mail and contacts with Windows Live Mail and my Comcast account. 

Bottom line, if you know what you're doing (and I know a lot of folks don't), it's easier to do what I just did, and it'll save you $50 too.  YMMV.

Edit:  OK, here's new info on PCtrans.  You click the pen & paper icons to change defaults for applications and data, one note pad for each.  For data you get a list of drives where you can uncheck the extra partitions and drives.  Now if you have more than 2 applications, nothing will happen until you click the pad for them and uncheck all but 2 of them.  I selected Office 2007 and Quicken 2013 to migrate, and bingo it took off and started creating the resulting 35GB image file.  I did notice that it copied a lot of stuff out of Windows folders like Program Files, Windows, Users, etc. which I find scary.  I don't want that stuff going into the corresponding Windows 10 folders!  So once again I'll just say I believe it's much safer, cheaper, and no more difficult to do what I did.  As before YMMV.  :orange:

Edited by Niweg, 14 January 2016 - 04:16 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users