Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First impressions on the "Be Quiet! Silent Base 600" full ATX case

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

So I literally just finished building my new rig about an hour ago and got everything up and running.

Specs:

Case:  Be Quiet! Silent Base 600 Full ATX

CPU - I7-5820K

CPU cooler:  Noctua UH-12S

Mobo:  ASrock X99 Extreme4

Video:  MSI GTX 960

Mem:  16GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2133

SSD:  Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

2nd HDD: WD Black 1TB

Optical:  LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray burner with M-Disc

Not a screaming gamer rig as I only play World of Warcraft on occasion.  I wanted the 6-cores for running VM's, and editing photos (photography is a hobby).

This is my first build using a full ATX case.  I've always used mid towers since I typically don't cram a lot of hardware in there, but this time I wanted something with more room so I could route wiring properly out of the way, and that big ASRock 2011-v3 mobo (this thing is huge!).

I researched and shopped my butt off as this build was to be done as cheaply as I could within reason.  I found sales and deals and took advantage of them.

I still have to get the second monitor, but all tolled, I'm in this system for about $1175.  Not too bad.

So...this Be Quiet case.  I got it on sale at Newegg for $89.99.  It's on the smaller side for a "full" sized case, but the big Noctua cooler and the GTX 960 fit without issue (and I didn't have to remove the 3.5" drive cage to fit the GTX).  The case comes in all black, black with green accents and black with orange.  I went all black since I'm not into flashy cases and all.  When I say black, I mean everything is black...the screws, the cables, everything in this case is black!

The case comes with a 140mm intake fan on the lower front and a 120mm exhaust in the upper rear.  They are dead silent on full speed using the built in fan controller of the case (a three-position switch you access by opening the front door).  There is room in front for another 140mm fan if you want to add one and a couple 120mm's up top if you desire.  Also you can mount a 120mm on the bottom as well.

The case has 2x USB 2.0 and 2x USB 3.0 ports on the upper front lip of the case along with an audio and mic jack.

There is a door on the upper front half to access the 3x 5.25" bays.  You can take the door and hinges off to switch between left or right opening swing.  It came for left swing, but I switched it around since my case sits to my right.  It was easy to do, although the hinges are plastic.  The door has two rubber bumpers so it closes silently.  The door self-closes when get it almost completely closed.  The inside of the door is also padded and has a rubberized coating on the pad.  It doesn't really silence a whirring optical drive though.

A 3.5" drive cage is mounted in the front bottom of the case.  A single thumb screw is used to lock the "gate" (loosen the thumb screw and slide it up to get drives in or out).  Lower it and tighten screw to lock them in.

The accessories include mounting rails for 3.5" drives that are made of all rubber.  They are held on with 2 thumb screws on each side of the drive.  Lift the gate, slide the drive in, lower gate and tighten the thumb screw.  Done.  Drives will go in right side up, or upside down without issue.

The 3.5" drive cage can be removed and mounted inside the 5.25" bay, but you lose the ability to put any 5.25" drives in the bays.  The 3.5" drive cage can mount a 2.5" SSD upside down under the top.  There are 2x small, removable plates on the back of the motherboard tray, each locked with a single thumb screw used to mount a 2.5" SSD (this is where I mounted my EVO 850).

The PSU space will take up to a 300mm long PSU and sits in the bottom rear.

Almost the entire bottom of the case is open mesh with a nice quality slide out air filter.  A filter is also fitted in the front and can be removed easily by opening the door and sliding it up and out (similar to a dryer filter).

The motherboard tray is built into the case (is not removable), but I had no issues mounting the big ASRock X99 even after pre-installing the CPU and the Noctua cooler.

Cable routing is very good.  There are several large rubber grommeted holes (oblong in shape) to pass cabling behind the motherboard tray and back into the case where you need/want them.  I had no issues with cabling being too short from my Antec NeoECO 520w PSU.  The only complaint I have is that the PSU is not modular, so I had route the two unused molex cables to the back and cram them under the HDD cage to hide them.  A modular PSU would be perfect.

The case does have a "double glazed" side window.  If you're into putting lights and all in your case, or like to see everything, it's nice and big.  The inside window can be removed to give 10mm more space for a larger CPU cooler if need be, but was not necessary for the Noctua...still plenty of room to clear it with both windows in it.

All-in-all I'm pretty pleased with this case.  Plenty of room even for a smallish full ATX.  The rubber HDD mounting has totally silenced the drive.  In my old system it would resonate slightly (noticably) when the heads were moving, but not in this case!

Be Quiet! has attempted to make this a "silent" case with rubber mounts and pads everywhere.  Only complaint is there are no rubber mounts for the 5.25" bays.  A DVD or Blu-Ray drive is still loud and buzzy.

I haven't heavily stressed the system yet, but with both case fans at full speed and the Noctua cooler and the GTX 960 doing it's thing, it's pretty much dead silent.  I couldn't be happier with that.

I know there are bigger, and better cases out there with more bells and whistles, but for a "full size" case under $100, this one is a great bargain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users