Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Problem, But Not What You Think.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thriller92

thriller92

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:27 PM

I have 3 anti virus softwares. I have avast on protection, AVG free edition, and ewido anti malware. Today I got some virus on a dumb site my friend sent me, and the avast on protection software keeps giving me the virus popup that says I have a trojan horse/virus and to press the abort button connection, and it pops up seemingly every 2 minutes. I scanned my computer with ewido even after I thought I quarantined all of the virus, and the avast on protection popups still keep coming. Do I still have the virus or what? If so, shouldnt the ewido anti malware be able to pick it up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:58 PM

Hello thriller92

You should not be using avast and AVG at the same time on your computer. The concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise from them both running together at the same time in real-time protection mode. Anti-virus software componets insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their defintion databases are the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance.

While operating in real-time mode, each program will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to "False Positives". Further, if one Av finds a virus and then the other also finds the same virus, then both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each piece of AV software will attempt to seize the offending file and quarantine it. If one AV finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both AV's wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetivite cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found.

Ewido is ok to run with either avast or AVG. Ewido may not be picking up the malware because no single product can detect and remove all threats at any given time. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results.

Did you receive a Network Sheild alert that looks like this?

Network shield is meant to block known internet worms, "NETWORK SHIELD: BLOCKED "DCOM EXPLOIT" - ATTACK FROM 200.217.63.80:135/TCP" basicly means avast has blocked one (dcom exploit) and you are protected/safe.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 thriller92

thriller92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:48 PM

Its something like that. It has http:// a bunch of numbers, then like/ images/ and a bunch of other stuff followed by slashes. I downloaded spyware doctor(which wasnt such a good idea because its impossible to uninstall) and it said i had like 116 detected infected objects including potentially dangerous trojan horses. What anti virus do you recommend because avg and ewido couldnt find them.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:30 AM

If your looking for free software, then both AVG and avast are good choices. They are recommended and used by many of the members here at BC. If don't mind having to pay, then I recommend NOD32 Anti-Virus Personal or Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal 6.0. But keep in mind what I said earlier - no single product can detect and remove all threats at any given time.

It is important to use reputable anti-spyware tools like ewido to supplement your anti-virus. For more alternatives see BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources and BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users