Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

link to thread here to privacy settings in Win10?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

Is there a link to a thread here, on how to fix privacy settings for Win10? Also is there a list of programs such as Cortana, that I will NOT be using? I saw something on PC Mag, but from a search I didn't find one on everything that is up to date.  I am getting a new computer.  It had to come with Win10.  I am putting Linux on my older computer.  If I decide Win10 isn't gonna cut it for me, I am going to Linux on the new machine too. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

Hi kelkay,

There are numerous threads on this form addressing the questions you have.

There are some users who believe the privacy issues for Windows 10 are being blown out of proportion and their are other users who believe their concern is legitimate.

THIS article shows Microsoft's Updated Software License Terms and calls people who think Microsoft is going to spy on them "conspiracy theorists".

However I would point out that other articles cite Microsoft's website where it said that they "may access, disclose, and preserve your personal information."

THIS article cites Microsoft's website.

It seems though, the link is no longer available.

I did find that https://web.archive.org has a copy of the privacy policy The Telegraph article refers to.

THIS is the privacy policy that has users worried about what happens to their right to privacy if they use Windows 10.

Here are a couple of quotes from that Microsoft Privacy Policy:

If you do not agree with this Policy, do not use our products and services or provide Microsoft with your personal data.

Mandatory Disclosures we may access, disclose and preserve your personal information, including your private content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:

(1) comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process from competent authorities, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;

(2) protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;

(3) operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or

(4) protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

So, clearly Microsoft's policy includes some things that are a legitimate cause for privacy concern.

What is not clear is if these clauses mean that Microsoft has the technical ability to do these things and will do them as they feel they have a need to or if the policy is written so that if they receive warrant the end user cannot successfully sue them.

As for changing the initial Windows 10 settings to increase your privacy, take a look at THIS article.

I hope that answers your question. :)

Take Care,

packetanalyzer

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,696 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:45 PM

I made a compilation thread a while ago. It could be updated a bit, but it have a lot of programs, tweaks, etc. you can use.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586731/compilation-windows-10-tips-tricks-and-tools-to-enhance-your-privacy/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

Thank you both.  I will take a look.  I have to agree in order to use the new computer.  But I will make it as privacy free as possible.  I will not use Cortana or Bing, or their browser (unless it is necessary temporarily).  I decided this is the route I will take.  I got the best deal I could, and if this is intolerable, and I can find satisfaction with Linux, I will switch.  I'd rather use Microsoft.  But they haven't made me a happy camper lately.

#5 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:58 PM

You are not the only person who feels that way.

If you look at the Linux & Unix subform you will find a number of people think the answer to Windows 10 is migrating to Linux.

If you decide to go to Linux, there is a thread HERE with a link to a survey that recommends which version of Linux you should try.

#6 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

Thank you packetanalyzer. I plan to put Linix Mint on my older computer.  I already have the dvd, and a book on it.  I am going to give the new Windows a chance.  If I don't like it, I will see how bad or good the Linux is.  So this won't be an upgrade on this computer.  This computer just turned 3 years old a few days ago.  I can't believe I had to buy a new one so quickly.  But because of Microsoft's changes, I felt this was the best way to go about it for me.  This did cause a burden on me financially.  Let's hope Win10 is decent. If they go to 10.1 I am gonna have a fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users