Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG support forum spammer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

Which ever moderator who removed the AVG support post in General Security, thanks. I checked out the site and reported it to AVG.

Edited by Will5200, 12 January 2016 - 01:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

There's more than one website associated with the phone number. There's one for pretty much every Antivirus and Microsoft software there is. All copy/pasted as well. There was a spammer for the Symantec version of the website yesterday here and on Malwarebytes forums.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Will5200

Will5200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

I just posted over at Web of Trust and also on the site's WOT scorecard. Someone from iYogi tried this some years back, and we all know what they are.

Edited by Will5200, 12 January 2016 - 01:45 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:47 PM

It's a never ending war sadly. I'm sure this spammer is associated with the ones that spam for HP, Canon, etc. assistance as well. The link between all of these is the phone number. The next time you see such a spammer, Google the phone number and you'll see how many fake websites comes up. You can report them all at once if you wish, since spamming other websites and forums to advertise yours isn't allowed.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

The topic title was about AVG support.

However, the LINK in the post was for AVAST support.

Hovering over the link clearly said AVAST and that is where the link went to. 

We here at  Bleeping Computer will not tolerate spam of any kind.  

Since there are more members than staff, we depend on our members to report spam when they see it. 

Using the report function in a post will alert moderators to the post. One of us will see the report and remove the post.

A global moderator or site admin will then ban the spammer. 

Thanks go to Aura and Demonslay335 for reporting that topic.

Orange Blossom, a BC moderator, removed the topic. 

I banned the spammer.

Reporting it to AVG is an exercise in futility. They, and other AV vendors, are well aware of the number of sites that say they will help with issues regarding the programs. Sadly, they cannot do anything to shut them down. 

Because nothing can be done, people with no clue will be taken in by those shady companies.  All they see is support for their product and will use it, unaware that it is 3rd party support instead of the actual vendor support.

#6 Will5200

Will5200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:03 PM

"Hovering over the link clearly said AVAST and that is where the link went to." I noticed that too. Right on, Thanks folks.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:23 PM

I'm confused somewhat.  I've mentioned specific products [mostly not providing a hyperlink] from time to time in different threads in the same day or during a week, if indeed that product probably will help OP.  I definitely want to stay far far away from being a spammer.  What would constitute spamming?

Addendum:  Got my answer, rules are clear :)  I understand the boundaries.]

Edited by RolandJS, 12 January 2016 - 02:41 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,511 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

I'm confused somewhat.  I've mentioned specific products [mostly not providing a hyperlink] from time to time in different threads in the same day or during a week, if indeed that product probably will help OP.  I definitely want to stay far far away from being a spammer.  What would constitute spamming?

If you are legitimately recommending a product you have used before, for a particular issue to a user, I'm sure you are fine, as long as it is a legitimate (read: legal, non-malicious) tool. It would be spam if you were posting it all over the place, unsolicited. In this case, they had a topic with a whole paragraph of junk that just linked to the bad website that was very obviously a fake website.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:40 PM

"...In this case, they had a topic with a whole paragraph of junk that just linked to the bad website that was very obviously a fake website.."  I understood that part;  I've run across various definitions of spamming in various boards; I like this board's precise definition!  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 Will5200

Will5200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

It's a never ending war sadly. I'm sure this spammer is associated with the ones that spam for HP, Canon, etc. assistance as well. The link between all of these is the phone number. The next time you see such a spammer, Google the phone number and you'll see how many fake websites comes up. You can report them all at once if you wish, since spamming other websites and forums to advertise yours isn't allowed.

Someone with that phone number just wrote a spam post over at LinkedIN. Reported, it's gone.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

If you are legitimately recommending a product you have used before, for a particular issue to a user, I'm sure you are fine, as long as it is a legitimate (read: legal, non-malicious) tool. It would be spam if you were posting it all over the place, unsolicited. In this case, they had a topic with a whole paragraph of junk that just linked to the bad website that was very obviously a fake website.

It is ok to recommend a legitimate product.

The topic that was removed had a link to a site which offers technical support for Avast, AVG and other technical issues for a fee. The company offers various support plans. It uses remote support.

The website is not fake. However, there is not much information on the company that offers the support.

It could be a legitimate company or it could be shady-as so many of them are. The shady ones have a tendency to shut down then open up again under a different name.

#12 Will5200

Will5200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

Same company that spammed LinkedIN, Facebook, Twitter, and just about every site that allows posting. All to my knowledge have been taken down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users