Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% Start Over Reset & What Do I Do After Instructions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Caramello222

Caramello222

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

Hi, I'm giving up my malware fight by resetting. I have recently obtained the Recovery kit for my Hp Pavilion b-313w All-in-One and I ready to do my reset. But I'm unsure that everything will be erased like file history and skydrive things of that nature that can allow malware to store it's self and be reloaded or reinstalled after I wipe my computer with a reset. How do I make sure everything gets wiped? Then after I'm done reinstalling I'm confused as to what I should do next to minimize my risk of reinfection while removing Norton Studio. I have the link written down to go straight to the page and download the removal tool and that will be the only time I'm connected to the internet because I will be unplugged throughout the whole process of reset and reinstall. So how should I set my computer's security and Internet Explorer's 10 security to make my quick extraction of the Norton removal tool safe? I know after Norton has been removed I then allow Windows Defender to update by opening the app and of course clicking on update. I know at the same time Windows automatic update will probably detect the connection as soon as I connect for the Norton removal tool. so should I turn that off first before reconnecting the internet? And who should I update first HP and get the latest Bios and other drivers and software installed or should I update Windows first? I upgraded previously to windows 8.1 and want it back. I don't have it know because I thought I could get rid of some of the malware with a quick reset and then run some scans to remove the rest, that didn't work, lol, trust me I know I was dreaming. So my question is how do I incorporate the Windows 8.1 upgrade into all of this. I'm asking all of this because I want to make sure I do this right and minimize my risk of reinfection. Thank you for your time and if any further info is needed please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:00 PM

What OS is the upgrade kit? It is 8 or 8.1?

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:01 AM

Here is the Norton Removal Tool - ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

After Norton removal, allow Windows Updates to take over and install ALL outstanding updates.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#4 Caramello222

Caramello222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:53 PM

Thanks, I got it, ran it, all gone. :thumbup2: