Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dead new battery after format

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 firstmajor

firstmajor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:35 AM

Hello, 

i just formatted my Toshiba protege z930-b112 , and although there are still some drivers to be downloaded as they appear in the device manager, as soon as i remove the laptop from the AC, it shutdowns, both the new and old battery do the same, although before format, it was working perfectly.
i suspect a software issue.

can anyone suggest, might it be that i need to download bios ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:59 AM

What Windows version is it? I guess since you indicate there may be drivers still to install, it's not a factory restore?

Edited by Platypus, 12 January 2016 - 05:00 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 firstmajor

firstmajor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:03 AM

What Windows version is it? I guess since you indicate there may be drivers still to install, it's not a factory restore?

No was nto factory restore since drive D where the restore data is was formatted.

Window 7 

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:30 AM

There is a known problem with Windows 7 being unable to correctly read battery parameters from some BIOS, my Toshiba suffers from it and shuts down prematurely, but I can't say if that can ever be as severe as you're experiencing. Some other manufacturers who experienced the same problem, such as HP, issued BIOS updates, but as far as I know, Toshiba did not.

At first glance my best suggestion would be to make sure everything applicable to your unit from Toshiba support is installed successfully.

One way to make sure that it isn't a co-incidental hardware fault would be to boot Linux Live, and confirm correct operation on battery, but without an optical drive you'd have the extra step of using an external drive or creating a USB flash drive Live.

Edit: Simpler - does it shut off on battery when running the BIOS setup?

Edited by Platypus, 12 January 2016 - 05:34 AM.

#5 firstmajor

firstmajor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:08 AM

Every time i try to install the BIOS utility it says pc not supported. i am wondering if it should not be installed from windows, given that the laptop dose not have ODD

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:09 AM

If you enter the BIOS at boot and just sit in the menu, will it run on battery?

#7 firstmajor

firstmajor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:38 AM

it dose not even start without AC plugged in

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,754 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:19 AM

Then it is a hardware fault, probably the most likely is a mainboard failure in the circuitry that steers power between charging and battery operation. Unless both batteries have totally failed at the same time, which seems very unlikely, best guess would be the circuit that switches to battery when external power is not present, has failed. There can be a fuse in the circuit, but if there is one it will be a surface mounted component soldered on the circuit board,

Apart from getting it assessed by a service center, the most straightforward way of checking is probably to find a way to make sure the batteries have charge and can actually power a unit. If you don't have a way to check that yourself, it should cost much less to have the batteries checked than an assessment of the whole unit.

Do the battery/charging lights give normal indications when the unit is simply plugged in to mains power, does the battery condition report in Windows seem normal?

Edited by Platypus, 13 January 2016 - 06:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users