Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

old thinkpad cpu socket question. please help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nerdskickass2

nerdskickass2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:26 AM

i was given an old thinkpad (two actually one is an sl410 and one is an l420) neither where working but i was lucky enough to have an old hdd lying around and to my surprise i was lucky enough that that was the problem with the sl410. it booted (yay me!) ...now i have a thinkpad sl410 running windows 7 with a core 2 duo and 8gb ddr3 ram. (great) ...as a curious person with a screw driver i opened the l420 to find a core i5 (whooo buddy that'd be nice) ..my question is can i swap the core 2 duo from the sl410 out with the core i5 from the l420? this would be of much help as i can not afford to buy or build a nice system. both laptops look exactly the same but i'm sure that doesn't matter lol ...please give me good news :)

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2016 - 06:40 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

It would not be possible to switch those cpus. They run different sockets.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 nerdskickass2

nerdskickass2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:36 PM

bummer. both say socket p 989 though. but ill take your word for it i guess. thanks for the help.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:34 AM

What model core i5? I was pretty sure none of the core 2duos shared a socket with any i5. Swit the cpu in a laptop isn't normally good, because of these things:
1. The old cpu cooler might not be enough
2. Different front side bus speeds
3. Battery might not support the extra power draw
4. Laptop cpus are usually scottered to the motherboard.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users