Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dial-up errors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dave1969

dave1969

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:54 PM

My dial-up connection is showing lots of received errors- 2500+ this session. No sent errors. Surprizingly it still connects most of the time. Sometimes I have to try 3 or 4 times and I get timed out errors too. My speed is 24kb/s max - normal. My actual download speed when downloading a program is 2 or 3 kb/s though - is this normal? My ISP says it is .I have ran mini tool box and didn't see anything suspecious. Does my computer have a problem or is it my ISP? No problem shown in device manager either. I have a US Robotics 56K fax win card. Guidance/advice appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2016 - 01:38 PM.
Moved from XP to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

Dialup connections...are out of step...with the content that is today's Internet.  The era when dialup was the only possible choice for users...the 1990s...is over and there are few things relative to computing which remain from the 1990s.  Change has occurred, many things have been improved...dialup is an anachronism that belongs to another era.

But...there are still many persons facing the situation where dialup is the only game in town...while most of us have moved on to something other than dialup.

http://www.packetworks.net/blog/internet-connection-types

If your ISP says that your connection is as good as it gets...regretably, your ISP is probably telling it as it is.

If you want to test your upload/download speeds, I suggest visiting http://testmy.net/hoststats/2bite_dialup .

Louis

#3 Green Hornet

Green Hornet

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

Hello: I have Dial Up, Earthlink.net. I have never heard of such a low KB on any Internet provider. I suggeset you change to a

diffrent Internet Provider. Generally its 45.2 KB's on Dial Up. I Have an excellerator on my dial up with my Provider free.

Your KB's.not enough for an effective dial up. Ya better change who you do business with.

#4 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

Thanks a lot Hamluis and Green Hornet. I tested my speed and it was very low. I'm going to do some more testing and checking. I have Earthlink in my area. So much for picking a provider from the yellow pages. I just hope it is not my phone lines because my phone has gone out 3 times in about 4 years. My speed also varies a lot - has been as low as 7 or 8 kb/sec. The telephone repairman said they don't care as much about land lines as they used to. I have Localnet by the way. One quick question. Are the received errors (978 this session) being caused by the slow speed? Thanks for the quick response. Great forum.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:32 PM

FWIW:  I went from local dialup to Earthlink/TWC cable so I know your pain..

To be honest...I cannot remember anything significant about how my dialup system operated...I only remember that it was junked quickly when TWC/Earthlink offered a trial of the cable service.  I never thought once of going back to dialup :).  I don't think I ever monitored my Internet service...I didn't expect much so I wasn't surprised when it was problematical.  But...that was light years ago in computer time.

You might want to look at what Other Websites Have To Say About Localnet.  You may want to double-check what other possible service providers are in your area/available.

Louis

#6 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users