Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP DV6 Black screen at after start up - Caps+Num lock give 2 repeated flashes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Expert Novice

Expert Novice

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

Hi there,

My partner Tracys HP DV6 laptop is refusing to boot. The machine appears to power up as normal, the power, volume and wifi lights above the keyboard light up as does the 'on' light at the front left corner and the fan can be heard running but the screen remains blank with no flickers of anything and no sign of even a cursor. The caps lock/num lock* lights repeatedly give two blinks in time with each other.

* I say num lock light. I think this is what it's normally referred to although num lock is not the nearest button. It's at the top right hand corner of the screen next to the 'End/page up' buttons.

After a bit of googling I have tried doing the hard reset (switch off, remove battery and power cable, leave for 30s then hold down power button for 1 min before rebooting). I also tried connecting an external monitor via the vga socket and to a TV set via the HDMI output. None of these approaches have yielded any results. My googling has also revealed the two blinks from caps lock/num lock are the code for a BIOS corruption fault.

I found instructions for restoring the BIOS here...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

I was going to follow the instructions there but wanted to check here first in case there was a more appropriate course of action I should take first.

Another thing is that there seems to be a lot of heat being blown out by the fan considering the machine appears not to be booting.

I'm no computer expert but am well able to follow accurate instructions so will welcome any advice on how to best proceed in getting this machine running again.

The laptop is running Windows 7 and from memory is 64bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

I don't think so no. I've tried repeatedly pressing esc, F8 and F10 at start up but see nothing on the screen at all.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:22 AM

Have you tired using a monitor to see if there is a problem with the display on the laptop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

I also tried connecting an external monitor via the vga socket and to a TV set via the HDMI output. None of these approaches have yielded any results.

Sounds like he did try external video, definitely good to double-check.

Flashing the BIOS does look to be the only option. I would follow those instructions; never knew HPs had that function (then again, I've not run into this particular flash code, we usually only see the CPU failure one). I would try the recovery BIOS first, and try the new image from a flash drive if that doesn't work.

Since this is a BIOS flash, your data should be unaffected, but it never hurts to backup your data if you can.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

I say num lock light. I think this is what it's normally referred to although num lock is not the nearest button. It's at the top right hand corner of the screen next to the 'End/page up' buttons.

According to the manual that is not where the Num Lock light is located.

bb_zpskdzsja9s.png

#7 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:16 AM

I say num lock light. I think this is what it's normally referred to although num lock is not the nearest button. It's at the top right hand corner of the screen next to the 'End/page up' buttons.

According to the manual that is not where the Num Lock light is located.

bb_zpskdzsja9s.png
Ah, yes, that was my mistake sorry.

The light is at the top right hand corner of the keyboard.

Will have a look at the manual link later. Thanks

Edited by Expert Novice, 16 January 2016 - 07:17 AM.

#8 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:21 AM

I also tried connecting an external monitor via the vga socket and to a TV set via the HDMI output. None of these approaches have yielded any results.

Sounds like he did try external video, definitely good to double-check.

Flashing the BIOS does look to be the only option. I would follow those instructions; never knew HPs had that function (then again, I've not run into this particular flash code, we usually only see the CPU failure one). I would try the recovery BIOS first, and try the new image from a flash drive if that doesn't work.

Since this is a BIOS flash, your data should be unaffected, but it never hurts to backup your data if you can.

Yes thanks. Already tried external video.

Will try the BIOS recovery when I get the chance and post back

#9 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

Ok, I tried recovering the BIOS using the windows/B/power button combination key press. The laptop powers up but shuts down again after 10 seconds or so without any screen activity. I tried this a number of times getting the same result each time.

So I moved on to try flashing the BIOS using the instructions given on the page at HP's site I linked in my original post. I followed up to step 10 where I accept the EULA and click ''next''. This is where what appears on my screen differs from what is written in the instructions. Instead of three options including the required ''create a recovery flash drive...'' the InstallShield Wizard asks me where I want to save my files. I was unsure how I should proceed but browsed to the blank flash drive I had waiting and selected to save there. This resulted in WinFlash.exe appearing on the flashdrive. From reading the instructions the flash drive is supposed to be re named ''HP_TOOLS'' but as the drive still has its previous name I'm not sure the operation has been finished correctly. Optimistically I proceeded to follow the instructions for installing the BIOS on the faulty machine. I got a similar result to that from the recovery operation but with a few audible beeps and the lights flashing in a different order before the machine powers down again after a short time.

So now I'm back to square one again. I've downloaded what seems to be the correct BIOS from HP but the instructions given on their site don't match what I see on my screen. After removing the flash drive the laptop behaves in the same way as described in my original post.
So I think I need some instructions for flashing the BIOS on an HP DV6 2010sa 64bit laptop running windows 7 on an AMD processor? Or alternatively suggestions on where I might be going wrong in following HP's instructions?

#10 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

I've still not been able to successfully flash the BIOS on this machine.

Following a friends suggestion I tried replacing the CMOS battery but that didn't make any difference.

Following the USB BIOS flashing procedure on HPs website is complicated by the issues I detailed in my previous post so I'd be grateful if someone here could direct me to a reliable procedure I can follow.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

The instructions provided in the user's manual looks pretty straight forward.  You will find a link to download the manual in post #6.

Updating the BIOS

Updated versions of the BIOS may be available on the HP Web site.
Most BIOS updates on the HP Web site are packaged in compressed files called SoftPaqs.
Some download packages contain a file named Readme.txt, which contains information regarding
installing and troubleshooting the file.

114 Chapter 5 Setup Utility (BIOS) and System Diagnostics

Determining the BIOS version

To determine whether available BIOS updates contain later BIOS versions than those currently installed
on the computer, you need to know the version of the system BIOS currently installed.
BIOS version information (also known as ROM date and System BIOS) can be displayed by pressing fn
+esc (if you are already in Windows) or by using Setup Utility.

1. Start Setup Utility.
2. Use a pointing device or the arrow keys to select File > System Information.
3. To exit Setup Utility without saving your changes, click the Exit icon in the lower-left corner of the
screen, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
– or –
Use the tab key and the arrow keys to select File > Ignore Changes and Exit, and then
press enter.

Downloading a BIOS update

CAUTION: To reduce the risk of damage to the computer or an unsuccessful installation, download
and install a BIOS update only when the computer is connected to reliable external power using the AC
adapter. Do not download or install a BIOS update while the computer is running on battery power,
docked in an optional docking device, or connected to an optional power source. During the
download and installation, follow these instructions:
Do not disconnect power from the computer by unplugging the power cord from the AC outlet.
Do not shut down the computer or initiate Sleep or Hibernation.
Do not insert, remove, connect, or disconnect any device, cable, or cord.
1. Windows 7—Select Start > Help and Support > Maintain.
Windows XP—Select Start > Help and Support, and then select the software and
drivers update.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions to identify your computer and access the BIOS update you want
to download.
3. At the download area, follow these steps:
a. Identify the BIOS update that is later than the BIOS version currently installed on your
computer. Make a note of the date, name, or other identifier. You may need this information
to locate the update later, after it has been downloaded to your hard drive.
b. Follow the on-screen instructions to download your selection to the hard drive. Make a note
of the path to the location on your hard drive where the BIOS update is downloaded. You
will need to access this path when you are ready to install the update.

#12 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

Sorry if I'm missing something but the instructions in the manual are for updating the BIOS on a working machine. The machine in question will not boot and shows the fault code for BIOS corruption. I can't update the BIOS according to the instructions in the manual because the machine won't boot so I think I need to flash the BIOS from a flash drive. Following the advice in post #5 I tried following HPs instructions for restoring the BIOS but ran into difficulties (see post #9). This is where I'm stuck.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:48 AM

It is I who should apologize.  The instructions at the HP Support website is what you should be using in this case.

When you tried this, did you start with a blank formatted flash drive?

#14 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

Yes, I moved all the existing files off the flash drive and formatted it before saving the BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users