Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a legit program that really does wha it says.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 diggiedo

diggiedo

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:53 PM

Is there REALLY a good maintence program out there that really works to keep computer running smooth iv,e tried many but dont really see or feel any difference iv,e used system menchanic. cc cleaner. an advanced system cleaner but i can,t tell if they really do all what they say they do. any reccomend programs that really work i would love to hear about it ty in advanced for any feed back.

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2016 - 01:17 PM.
Moved from Gen Chat to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:16 AM

Depends, CCleaner is good but you have to use it mainly for anything other than a registry cleaner

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

If you need a program to clean out junk then CCleaner will do the job. Maintenance involve several things, and the so-called "PC optimizers" are more often snake oil than being actually useful.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Cleaning things out and use a defragmentation program on HDDs, along with ensuring it is free from malware with active AV protection is the best way to keep your computer running smooth.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:51 PM

There's none. Personally, you are the one that is supposed to keep your system running smoothly. There's no program ever that will prevent you from installing a lot of useless programs and leaving them be there, dumping thousands of files in your Downloads folder and leaving them be, disabling your Windows Updates and other program updates, etc. What these programs can do is "help" you in a way, but most of the time they'll be harmful to your system. It's like your car. You are responsible for it and making sure that it stays up and running. If you go see a mechanic for an issue or a maintenance, you pay for it, even though most of it can be done by you (oil change, putting on winter tires, etc.)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

My answer would be no...there is no such thing as a "registry cleaner' or "optimizer" that can increase the efficiency of the system.  That (and the following) are my opinions.

For those who were not Windows users back then...it should be pointed out that these types of programs first appeared when Windows users were using Windows 95 and Win 98.  They came about, IMO, because the 1990s versions of Windows...had a number of users who were capable of being exploited by claims that a given product would solve the "mysteries" of Windows which many were experiencing.  Lots of questions and situations existed...which now are mitigated by users who understand more than how to click on an icon.  Users did not understand how files could become damaged...and how to mitigate the situtions which developed because of such.  Users did not understand the need for tools like defragment and chkdsk...and there arose a whole arsenal of "tuneup" utilities for these users.

The least understood but most used had to be "Norton Utilities".  After some years...it beame apparent that rather than solving problems, NU increased system problems by forcing the system into a very labored state (very onerous program in terms of system resources) and it's "registry cleaner" function (which no one understood) just might be removing entries that were needed by the system to function effectively.

Typical Scenario From 2002

But...users continued to buy NU and other/similar products...because they believed the hype and ignored the common sense questions which they should have been asking themselves.

The same mentality is still prevalent...among new users who seem to know little more than how to find/select icons on their systems...and the folly of "registry cleaners" continues because...it's easier to believe that something is valuable when you don't understand what it is that this something is supposed to be doing for you...or why you need it.

Many of these users...haven't even bothered to try to find out just what this "registry" is and why it might or might not need "cleaning" or "optimization".  They make themselves available for exploitation and ignore the logical question of how installing these mystical "registry cleaners/optimizers" can prossibly provide any positive value, as opposed to unnecessarily employing system resources that could be used to provide a smoother, more efficient Windows install.

Since new users have increased dramatically over time...today we have more users who think that "registry cleaners/optmizers" are something to be values...as opposed to in fact being something to be avoided.

IMO, the people who think that "registry cleaners/optmizers" are a necessity for their systems...are probably also part of the large community of computer users who believe that malware is something that happens to "the other guy" and ignore user responsibilities for protecting and maintaining...their computer systems.

It's what I would call the "witch-doctor approach" to owning and using a computer.

The sad thing is that there is plenty of information existing for users who are willing to use Google and find out definitively just what the registry is...why it's important...and why "registry cleaners/optimizers" are as close to a scam as anything can get.

Louis

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:59 PM

Well said Hamluis, well said.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#7 diggiedo

diggiedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

Ty you all for your response to my ? and was very helpful an useful an i do maintain my computers an try to follow the commonsence ty you all agan for your feedback. i did learn that tough lesson about registry cleaners a long time ago won,t ever touch my registry with anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users