Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop power button non responsive after new mobo install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pawsontechdavid

pawsontechdavid

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:09 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to revive an ideapad U310 Lenovo notebook (from approx 2013), After installing a new motherboard, the power button is completely non-responsive.  

The battery appears to charge when plugged in, however whether plugged in or not the power button reacts as if it is not even connected to any power supply.  I've tried various methods of 'resetting' involving unplugging the battery, unplugging the charging cable, removing the RAM, and holding the power button down for extended lengths of time.  When I try to power back up after that process, I've yet to be successful.  

I'd like to ask, are there any additional options to try?  And what has likely caused this?  The power turned on with the old motherboard.  This is a new issue that has come about after trying to address a display problem.  Thanks in advance for anyone's help, I appreciate it!  (Further details to follow if it helps...)

What gets me is that before changing the motherboard, the computer would turn on, the hard drive would turn, and the fan would start.  Nothing on the display and no beep, but mostly, "under the hood"  it acted similar to when I would start the laptop prior to any issue at all.  The original issue was that the ideapad's display had suddenly stopped working and I wasn't even able to get anything to show up when attempting to display out to another monitor.  After troubleshooting, I came to the conclusion that the GPU had gone out on me.  I got a new mobo that is the exact same model/specs as the original, however after installing, when I attempt to turn on the notebook I get no response.  So, I am not even able to see if the original issue is resolved.

Also, currently when the battery is plugged in it appears as if it is fully charged or chargeing.  However when you simply unplug the power supply, at least the indications are that eh batter is not holding a charge.

Any additional info needed, I thank you in advance for helping, and I will respond as soon as possible.  Thank you for the assistance!   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

Hi, in my experience it is quite common for a connector like the one for the power button to not properly secure. I would recommend releasing the cable, reseating it on the latch, and trying again.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 pawsontechdavid

pawsontechdavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:53 PM

I'll give that a try as another option. Thanks, I appreciate the recommendation. I'll post back when I get a chance to do this.

Thanks again...

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

Anytime. Good luck!

#5 pawsontechdavid

pawsontechdavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:18 PM

Hi, in my experience it is quite common for a connector like the one for the power button to not properly secure. I would recommend releasing the cable, reseating it on the latch, and trying again.

@ScathEnfys, I appreciate the suggestion to focus more on the power button hardware itself.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I had never encountered a button just not sitting right.  

For what it's worth, I went back and disconnected then reconnected everything on the motherboard (make sure you do this in the proper order, battery first, etc. - for anyone reading this later), and while I had everything apart I ensured that the button itself was making contact with the underlying hardware.  Some combination of all of that seemed to do it.  Computer on, display on!  

Thanks again.

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:24 PM

No problem, simply relating what has happened to me in the past :)
Many components connect to the motherboard with "ribbon cables" that like to pull out. I always make sure that they didn't pull out before proclaiming hardware failure.
Glad you got it working again! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users