Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cyberstalking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wirecutter

wirecutter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

I am wondering how someone would go about stalking someone remotely online with no hard access to my there machine, ie click bait you in a chat to open a link that installs a virus onto your pc when your in a text chat? if they have your ip address and you have say just done a recent install of your os would they only be able to stalk you by hacking your pc directly? I know they can't get into my cable-modem as its hardware disabled so you can't change any settings on it, you can't hack it because you can't even enter it to make any changes 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

Social engineering mainly. Though if they manage to get your IP address, cyber stalking could quickly turn into physical stalking. Social engineering is the real killer though. If they manage to extract enough information about you, they can trick support reps at places like facebook into resetting the password on your account for them, etc etc. I would also not count on your modem being impervious to hacking... People say you can't hack apple/iOS/Linux, but there are plenty of exploits, both proof-of-concept and in the wild that can attack these systems.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

Privacy concerns with social networking services...Potential dangers

Stalking...With the amount of information that users post about themselves online, it is easy for users to become a victim of stalking without even being aware of the risk...

Social Media and the Use of Personal Information

...using social media can involve some risk.

Once a user posts information to a social networking site, that information can no longer be considered private and can be used for criminal purposes. Even if you use the highest security settings on your account, others may—intentionally or not—leak your information. And once in the hands of criminals, this personal information can be used to conduct all kinds of cyber attacks against you or your family members, friends, or business associates in an effort to obtain additional and even more sensitive personal information...Criminals who troll social networking sites looking for information or people to target for exploitation run the gamut—from sexual predators, hackers, and financial fraudsters to business competitors and foreign state actors.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 wirecutter

wirecutter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:47 PM

Social engineering mainly. Though if they manage to get your IP address, cyber stalking could quickly turn into physical stalking. Social engineering is the real killer though. If they manage to extract enough information about you, they can trick support reps at places like facebook into resetting the password on your account for them, etc etc. I would also not count on your modem being impervious to hacking... People say you can't hack apple/iOS/Linux, but there are plenty of exploits, both proof-of-concept and in the wild that can attack these systems.

Privacy concerns with social networking services...Potential dangers

Stalking...With the amount of information that users post about themselves online, it is easy for users to become a victim of stalking without even being aware of the risk...

Social Media and the Use of Personal Information

...using social media can involve some risk.

Once a user posts information to a social networking site, that information can no longer be considered private and can be used for criminal purposes. Even if you use the highest security settings on your account, others may—intentionally or not—leak your information. And once in the hands of criminals, this personal information can be used to conduct all kinds of cyber attacks against you or your family members, friends, or business associates in an effort to obtain additional and even more sensitive personal information...Criminals who troll social networking sites looking for information or people to target for exploitation run the gamut—from sexual predators, hackers, and financial fraudsters to business competitors and foreign state actors.

i am not worried about being socially engineered and i realize how dangerous FB/twiter/social media can become with the amount of things people post about themselves without thinking. I mean if someone wants to cause you grief and your workplace and all your contact info is listed on FB it wouldn't take much effort.  I am more interested in how someone could remotely attack someone, ie click bait links in chat or brute force attack on your pc or something along those lines. can chat links have you install things onto your pc or just redirect you to get your ip?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

Cyber-criminals use web exploits, drive-by downloads and exploit kits to spread malware and/or facilitate criminal activity. If a website has been compromised (hacked) or displays malicious ads, they can exploit the vulnerable software on your computer. When you visit a website that tries to exploit your browser (or Flash), it will do so from the start...staying on the site for a few minutes or one hour doesn't make any difference.

In simplistic terms...an exploit is some kind of malicious action intended to take advantage of vulnerabilities (security flaws) in a browser, program, or operating system that is out of date. A drive-by download refers to the unintentional download of a virus or malicious software by visiting a compromised website that is running malicious code or an HTML-based email message that redirects to such a website.

There are basically two types of exploit attacks:
1. Cyber-criminals who exploit unknown software vulnerabilities (zero-day) to infect computers with up-to-date software.
2. Cyber-criminals who use exploit kits which take advantage of known software vulnerabilities to infect computers that are not using up-to-date software. Exploit Kit activity is on the rise...see Exploit Kit Infrastructure Activity Jumps 75 Percent in 2015.

The majority of computers get infected from visiting a specially crafted webpage that exploits one or multiple software vulnerabilities. It could be by clicking a link within an email or simply browsing the net, and it happens silently without any user interaction whatsoever.

Web Exploits

Exploit kits are a type of malicious toolkit used to exploit security holes found in software applications...for the purpose of spreading malware. These kits come with pre-written exploit code and target users running insecure or outdated software applications on their computers.

Tools of the Trade: Exploit Kits

According to An Overview of Exploit Packs and their exploits (December 2014) the majority of victims were running up-to-date software when they were exploited. Code Reuse Attacks (software exploits that allow attackers to execute arbitrary code on a compromised machine) are among the most popular exploitation techniques used by attackers today since there are few practical defenses that are able to stop such attacks on arbitrary binaries without access to source code.

Malvertising (malicious advertising) is the use of online advertising to spread malware. Attackers use online advertising channels to deliver malware to unsuspecting users by embedding malicious code within legitimate advertisements on trusted websites.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users